VFR/IFR Charts

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

minitour

I really like the Jepp IFR stuff, and really dislike the "sectional" VFR charts (too big). Someone recommended howie keefe's air chart systems http://www.airchart.com/
does anyone use these? Have any input either way?

I see they use NACO Approach plates which I'm not crazy about - but could live with if the rest of the stuff is cool. Also, notice that you get updates for the whole year. Sounds pretty nice for $400.

-mini

I hate the aircharts system. The tanker I flew three years ago came with a full set, VFR and IFR. I threw them out and bought plain jane sectionals and wacs. Always carried a full set of NOS/NACO charts on board, too.

avbug said:
I hate the aircharts system. The tanker I flew three years ago came with a full set, VFR and IFR. I threw them out and bought plain jane sectionals and wacs. Always carried a full set of NOS/NACO charts on board, too.
any particular reason or just didn't care for the setup?

Looking to save some money over Jepps and some space over NOS/NACO (all their stuff is so ... big!)

A C421 owner who I flew around for a year or so was in love with the aircharts system and would always have them on the plane. I think I used them for a total of one flight and then brought the Jepps onboard . Once he lost his medical due to health reasons he also lost those airchart systems that were permanently "lost" or removed from the airplane as well.. :D I was not pleased with the aircharts at all, the layout, etc. I think he tried to put them back on the plane after I left him and his next pilot also removed them as well !!.

Save the money. It basically comes down to personal preference and what you like.

3 5 0

NOS charts all the way, good'nuf for the military, good'nuf for me, and you just throw them out and get a new set instead of updates.

Jepp updates SUCK.

I didn't like the aircharts system products because they're a pain in the butt to use. Especially in cramped quarters. They're too big, can't be folded smaller, and require flipping around the book to go from one place to another. This, as opposed to a continuous paper chart such as a high or low altitude enroute, sectional, or WAC. A WAC can be folded smaller.

You can't put an aircharts product in your windscreen to block out the sun.

For instrument charts, I prefer Jeppesen. don't require updates, but are still not as concise and friendly as jepp. If you plan on flying for a living, you'll find that most places use jepp, and you'll probably want to be familiar with them. That's easiest if you're using them all the time. I kept my own jeppesen subscription for many years. If you dont' like doing the updates, then get the Q service. I did updates for a while for five airplanes, full international sets, too. And it wasn't Q service. Any more, doing a few binders is nothing.

I should add, right now I have an electronic flight bag, and hate it. I'll take a paper chart any day.

Snoopy 1 is right. Love those NOS/NACO stuff. Used them for over 20 years flying in the military active duty. Never hit a mountain with them, never crashed on an ILS, never lost paper (Jepp) updates, just threw them away when due. We also use Jepp here but the updates are slow due to internal company mail system and hate those updates. I stock the NACO stuff in our plane also.

Looked at avcharts a awhile back but didn't like their format.

I subscribe to Jepps for my local area and use NACO/NOS for anywhere else.

Why Jepps? Because the airlines use them and you need to be familiar with them and use them on a regular basis if you want to work for them.

If you subscribe, it ends up being cheaper than buying the Express packs every 56 days (do they still those?).

Once you get your commercial, you and your flying buddies pitch in and subscribe to one set of Jepps since you'll most likely be building time together anyway.

minitour said:
I really like the Jepp IFR stuff, and really dislike the "sectional" VFR charts (too big). Someone recommended howie keefe's air chart systems http://www.airchart.com/
does anyone use these? Have any input either way?

I see they use NACO Approach plates which I'm not crazy about - but could live with if the rest of the stuff is cool. Also, notice that you get updates for the whole year. Sounds pretty nice for $400.

-mini

I flew with a guy a couple weeks ago who had the book of sectionals. Horrible to use. Too big for a small cockpit (we were in a navajo, i can't imagine using them in a 152). Also, trying to flip between neighboring panels on the chart was less than self explanatory. You're a student pilot; don't buy a subscription to anything. You probably aren't doing enough flying to make it worth it. Especially once you start doing your commercial/cfi and you're flying VFR all the time. Shell out the $4 every 2 months; it's only $24 a year. (Think of all the beer you can buy)

Sienfeld "Why do postal workers go crazy anyway?" Newman " It's the mail. It.. Just....keeps...coming". Kind of like Jepp updates.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back