VFR Hold on Base Leg

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Hold in the pattern

I've had tower controllers ask me to do what you are saying but they used much better terminology. The instruction would be something like "Cessna 12345 make a left 360, report re-entering the downwind. This was a routine intruction on the crosswind, downwind and base legs. My experience was that the tower would issue this instruction on the downwind leg to allow for a company aircraft to execute a simulated instrument approach to minimums. Sounds like a poor choice of words to me.

Dutch

Fly_Chick said:
Today while entering the pattern, my student reported "Cessna 12345 left midfield downwind for RWY 30."

Tower told the student to "continue downwind, hold on the base leg."

Where are you based? The only place I've heard something similar to this for VFR traffic is in PHX, where they have you "hold" on the downwind....but the runway numbers don't match, so you obviously weren't there.

Based on your comment about the restricted area, it sounds as if it's a non-standard thing that's required at that airport to keep traffic clear of the final for the inbound jet, and at the same time keep the traffic clear of the restricted area. He probably told you to hold on the base leg because he wanted room for others doing the same on the downwind. Just a guess...

I agree with Step Climb

Never heard oh that one.

----------------------------------------------------------

Thunderbirds........ are GO!!

I've had tower controllers ask me to do what you are saying but they used much better terminology. The instruction would be something like "Cessna 12345 make a left 360, report re-entering the downwind.

Yeah, same here.

I did my PPL at a Class C airport with a LOT of helicopter traffic and this was pretty normal. They'd always say:
"Cessna 7332L extend your downwind, I'll call your base"
or
"Cessna 7332L make right 360 for separation"

I'm with stepclimb...go up there and ask them what they're talking about. I can't visualize how you would 'hold' without a fix, radial or bearing to hold on, etc.

If'n it were me, the next words out of my mouth would have been "uh.. tower, I have no idea what 'hold on the base leg' means. Could you clarify that a bit?"

Seriously, when I don't know, I ask. In plain English.

Last edited:
Fly_Chick said:
My main concern was for the student (pre-solo private) and wondering how confused the student would be (alone in the plane) given those instructions as we do not teach to "hold" on a pattern leg. Of course the students know to ask for clarification if they do not understand, yet this just seemed so out of the ordinary.

Yeah, now that you know that type of instruction could be issued to a student, I would be emphasizing with my students the importance of asking for clarification on a clearance if they don't understand it.

Stepclimb said:
It sounds like a friendly call to the folks in the tower cab is called for.

Please let us know what they say....I'm intrigued to say the least....

Friendly call to the Tower today. Spoke to the manager, his only thoughts were the controller must have thought we were a helicopter. I did not want to argue the point, sometimes the less said, the better understood. I wanted to make sure we were all on the same page... I have a "feeling" this will be addressed.

I really do believe the most important point from all of this is to ask for specific clarification.

When I was instructing, it was at an uncontrolled airport, but we frequently used the services of the local approach controllers in Eugene. I frequently called them up on the phone to discuss things, and had many an educating discussion for both sides. I also keep in email/phone contact with one of the controllers there even now and we exchange thoughts occasionally.

I have recently acquired the LAX tower phone number and may start to harass them in the same way *evil cackle*, or probably not. The did let me tour on short notice though.:D

ATC is great.

Latest resources

Back