Vfr 135

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Mini-

I work for an FBO, all the full time instructors who meat 135 mins (IFR or VFR) are given checkrides so that they are available should something come up. As far as VFR stuff goes, typically it would be something like "So and so diverted in here for mx and needs to be taken on to their destination" or "we need a box delivered 100 miles away." We don't have any scheduled runs or contracts so it's hit or miss as to whether something's going to come up. On the other hand, we've had 3 flight requests in the past 24 hours.

There actually ARE VFR 135's out there?
I don't know the statistics are but besides sight seeing in the Canyon and Hawaii there are many other VFR operators out there, I don't think the vast majority of operators in Alaska could be considered pointless.

groundpointsix said:
Our POI has asserted....

You can always solve these questions very quickly. Politely ask the POI if they'd be good enough to write down what they just said on FAA headed notepaper and sign it and just pop it in the mail for you.

Most of the time you don't get anything, and so what you end up with is a verbal statement that isn't backed up by paper - now what do you think that's worth?

I've asked FSDO inspectors to just "drop us a note" on items that *I* thought we both violently agreed on and that were in compliance with the regulations and we get nothing, so you can imagine what happens when they start spouting off their opinions on what you should be doing......

CFIse said:
You can always solve these questions very quickly. Politely ask the POI if they'd be good enough to write down what they just said on FAA headed notepaper and sign it and just pop it in the mail for you.

Most of the time you don't get anything, and so what you end up with is a verbal statement that isn't backed up by paper - now what do you think that's worth?

I've asked FSDO inspectors to just "drop us a note" on items that *I* thought we both violently agreed on and that were in compliance with the regulations and we get nothing, so you can imagine what happens when they start spouting off their opinions on what you should be doing...
CFIse...
Even if you got that proverbial note from the POI it would be meaningless. See my earlier post. Our company had certain items included in our Ops Specs that were found by the NASIP (Spelling ?) Team to be "issued in error" and both the company and the crews that flew those particular aircraft were found to be in violation. It took a long time and a lot of money for those guys to defend themselves.

'Sled

CFIse said:
I've asked FSDO inspectors to just "drop us a note" on items that *I* thought we both violently agreed on and that were in compliance with the regulations and we get nothing, so you can imagine what happens when they start spouting off their opinions on what you should be doing......

OK I gotta ask, how do you "violently agree"?

I agree that asking them to put it into writing generally proves the point that they don't have the authority to interpret regulations.

I also agree with lead sled though, even if they *do* put it writing, it's not worth anything. You're still obligated to follow the regulations.

Lead Sled said:
CFIse...
Even if you got that proverbial note from the POI it would be meaningless. See my earlier post. Our company had certain items included in our Ops Specs that were found by the NASIP (Spelling ?) Team to be "issued in error" and both the company and the crews that flew those particular aircraft were found to be in violation. It took a long time and a lot of money for those guys to defend themselves.

'Sled

Yeah, I can think of a bunch of theings that our POI has bought off on which are pretty questionable. I just smile and nod my head and try to do things in accordance with *my* understanding of the regulations.

I just smile and nod my head and try to do things in accordance with *my* understanding of the regulations.

Well said! At least when your interpretation is the more conservative of the two!

As far as the original VFR/IFR question is concerned, Instrument flight rules are just that. Any fuzzy logic applied to say you can file IFR on a 135 Visual flight rules flight without a an OpSpec authorizing IFR operations sounds like a slam dunk violation waiting to happen if anyone at the FAA should happen to feel like pursuing it. I would not count on them to look the other way if anything should occur which brings attention to this practice. The "but my POI sez" defense won't cut it.

All of that aside, if unable to maintain VFR during a flight due to unforecast meteorological conditions, getting an IFR clearance may be the safest thing to do under some circumstances. In that case, being required to make an explanation of the reasons for deviating from the rules is the lesser of the two evils!

Good discussion.

Best,

Say Again Over said:
I don't know the statistics are but besides sight seeing in the Canyon and Hawaii there are many other VFR operators out there, I don't think the vast majority of operators in Alaska could be considered pointless.

I figured as much....but like I said...we're near CLE. If you know about CLE, you know it's LIFR about 364.5 days a year...maybe that's what they were getting at.

-mini

*yes I'm exaggerating(sp)...it only SEEMS like its LIFR so much when you're vectored for the ILS on a CAVU day and slowed to approach speed 30 miles out on a daily basis.

Latest resources

Back