Very Light Jets

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

I ROCK

Who is going to pilot these things? I predict a high accident rate. They are going to wind up hiring 300 hour wonders. The regionals are already hiring at 500 and 100 this is scary stuff.

I donno about the VLJ 300 Hr wonders. Just because they are small jets doesn't mean they will settle for a commercial multi. I was on the Day Jet website and they require some serious time. 3000 TT and 500 PIC Jet if I recall. I dont qualify yet. Who knows. It will be interesting to see if this really will be the future, or will flop.

I think a lot of these will be sold to the doctors and lawyers currently flying Bonanzas and Barons. So yeah, pretty high accident rate.

Joe Public is not going to set foot in something as small as an Eclipse.

Who is going to pilot these things? I predict a high accident rate. They are going to wind up hiring 300 hour wonders. The regionals are already hiring at 500 and 100 this is scary stuff.

Umm....if they are going to be flown under 135 regs, then those minimums apply. And if they are going to be flown under 91 regs, then the insurance companies will dictate higher times. Nice job at the flame bait though.

these planes are ment to be flown as a fractional type. The people who are wealthly but not wealthly enough to put out 2-3 million at a pop.

These things were designed for the doctors and lawyers that already fly 421's and 340's and stuff like that. I doubt that ANY insurance company will insure someone who wants to fly these things who only has 500 hours. Time will tell.

These things were designed for the doctors and lawyers that already fly 421's and 340's and stuff like that. I doubt that ANY insurance company will insure someone who wants to fly these things who only has 500 hours. Time will tell.

I've got a client who is an lawyer who partnered with a surgeon to buy an Eclipse 500 delivery position for late summer. I was his instrument instructor in his new SR22 Centennial edition. The surgeon doesn't fly but wants the jet for his weekend getaways. I'll get typed in the thing prior to delivery to fly the surgeon, and babysit the attorney until he gets the total time to fly on his own with the insurance restrictions.

Guy's, can you say ca-ching! I'm considering getting typed in some of the other VLJ's to farm myself as a "mentor pilot" while these guys build a few thousand hours to be insurable. I've come to find that there are guys out there with more f'ing money than they know what to do with, and it's almost a matter of pride to show off how much they can pay you, others are just genuine people who appreciate your time and will pay you very, very well. Screw the ones who won't! :)

Who is going to pilot these things?
Being a gambling man that I am. I'm going for the long shot here and have to same "People will fly these VLJ's"

Whats the line in Vegas on this?

I see insurance skyrocketing as a result of these things, after a little time. You are correct......doctors, lawyers, and rich a$$holes are going to be buying these things and flying them into the ground.....in time, the insurance is going to be more than the damn airplane payments. Not to mention the fact that the Piper jet, the D-Jet, etc. are going to be single-engine jets.....so that opens up all the rich a$$holes that fly Bonanzas and stuff like that now.

2 most dangerous words in aviation: Owner-pilot. Even more scary than the 300 hour regional wunderkids.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back