• Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

skykid

On Point
By Anthony Colarossi | Sentinel Staff Writer
Posted June 8, 2005, 4:25 PM EDT

After six hours of deliberations, the Payne Stewart jury found in favor of the defense today.

The jury found no negligence on the part of LearJet and no defect in the design of the outflow valve adapter on the plane.

The families of Stewart and pilot Robert Fraley had sued for more than $200 million and got nothing.

Not to ever second guess a pilot, but as far as the trial goes, I could never get past the fact the pilots didn't get their masks on. Maybe the jury came back so quick for the same reason.

Is there evidence that they didn't have their masks on?

I thought I saw something about an O2 valve that wasn't turned on, but it's been a while. I never read anything about a final cause.

Didn't even know there was a trial going on, but I'm not surprised.

The facts that the 02 valve on that specific airplane was known to be leaky that the crew routinely turned it off as a result, that neither were seen to turn it on, that the folks on the ground testified that they had not filled the 02 system, that the crew was inxperienced in type, that their experience was not in the early lear pressurization system (20 series system on the early 30 series airplanes)...and that not enough was left of the aircraft to identify after it's impact...all had probably nothing to do with the verdict, either.

shamrock said:
I thought I saw something about an O2 valve that wasn't turned on, but it's been a while
Didn't the older Lear's have the O2 turn on/off valve located in the nose compartment or rear compartment where it had to be turned on/off prior to the flight?

shamrock said:
I never read anything about a final cause.

You can read it here:

http://www.ntsb.gov/publictn/2000/AAB0001.htm

But the probable cause only states that they did not receive supplemental oxygen for "undetermined reasons".

In summary, the Safety Board was unable to determine why the flight crew could not, or did not, receive supplemental oxygen in sufficient time and/or adequate concentration to avoid hypoxia and incapacitation.

PROBABLE CAUSE

The National Transportation Safety Board determines the probable cause of this accident was incapacitation of the flight crewmembers as a result of their failure to receive supplemental oxygen following a loss of cabin pressurization, for undetermined reasons.

Thanks Mrs Stewart for contributing to the spiraling cost increase of (general) aviation with your frivolous lawsuit against Gates Learjet...

Huggyu2 said:
Even if they had won, no one is worth a $200M settlement.
I'm glad the verdict was what it was, but someone like Payne Stewart certainly is worth $200M in a wrongful death suit, perhaps in lifetime earnings alone. Not only was he very successful on the course, but he had all sorts of extracurriculars going on that netted him more than his golf game. This doesn't even consider pain & suffering or punitive damages. With all due respect to his wife, she's not likely to earn what Payne could have over their lifetimes.

I repeat, I'm glad that this verdict was reached, but in some civil suits which actually do prove negligence, multi-million dollar verdicts are justified.

Having said all that, we should move towards a "loser pays" civil court system in this country, or state by state, whichever applies.

User997 said:
Didn't the older Lear's have the O2 turn on/off valve located in the nose compartment or rear compartment where it had to be turned on/off prior to the flight?
Nose compartment...and not only that, but when it is off, you see the word "on" with an arrow pointing in the direction to which you would turn the valve on. Conversely, when it is on, you see the word "off" with a directional arrow.

There is also a nitrogen tank very close by with the same sized filler valve.

Huggyu2 said:
Even if they had won, no one is worth a $200M settlement.
I am.
She said so. However, she won't pay up.

Latest resources

Back