Van's RV-8..I want one

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
RV8 vs. Team Rocket

Looked at them all, and my money has gone into an F1 Team Rocket http://www.teamrocketaircraft.com Unbelieveable machine. I have EFIS, autopilot, electronic ignition, full inverted fuel and oil system , and I'll take on a Dash 8 (100/200) anyday for point-to-point flights. About $130K invested.

Standard setup is an IO540, and it climbs like a homesick angel, fully aerobatic, cruises at 220 KTAS and over 1000 SM range...

Puh-Lease...Spend 10% more and kick some ass! F1's rule.

Last edited:
Cpt. Underpants said:
Puh-Lease...Spend 10% more and kick some ass! F1's rule.
Actually, the cost difference is quite a bit more than just 10%... from the factory websites, the RV-8 QB kit price is around $26,500, while the Rocket QB is $38,700... and if you want the Rocket Evo with the new wing it's even more, $45,000, just for the airframe kit. I'm using basic math on a calculator here, but the Rocket is approximately $12,200 more... roughly 46%! A bit more than a 10% difference... Then there's the added expense of the bigger engine; the grand total on a Rocket will be quite a bit more than an RV-8.

A year ago when I was making the decision to do an RV, 2 guys at the local airport bought Rocket kits (which haven't been touched, been collecting dust for a year) and they raved on about how great/fast/awesome their Rockets are gonna be. That's all true, I'm sure... but they both have bigger wallets than I do. For me, not being a rich captain, the RV-8 looked like the best bang for the buck. It's true, the Rocket will be faster, but I'll have more $$ left over to buy gas!

Now maybe someday if I win a lottery I'll go for the F1 Evo; the factory demo plane has a "Russian" camo paint scheme with those beautiful tapered wings... man that looks sweet. Gonna need more $$ though...

Here's an RV-8 builder's site with lotsa good pics; http://www.rv-8.com/PictureGallery.htm

Last edited:
I have an RV 8 Empennage Kit I would like to sell. I completed the rear spar and all the parts are inventoried. The wife didn't like sitting in the rear seat of a friends RV8A so now I'm looking at the 7 or 10. The kit has electric trim option and the full set of plans. $1400. Located in NC

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back