• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
54fighting or anyone

I just sent in a resume via e-mail. Just wandering if you ever
heard back from Vangaurd. Any one else please feel free to
ring in if you have any comments on the subject.
Also, would like to hear more about the lifestyle, pay scale and
schedules.

54fighting,

Sorry to not get back sooner. To answer your question, I sent my resume in via fax once a month for 6 months and heard nothing. However, when I sent one via US Mail, I got an application and a stack of the fun to fill out forms within 2 weeks. Hope this helps and good luck!

Actually, Vanguard's large creditors bought huge amounts of Vanguard stock at bargain basement prices with the hope that they would profit upon the expansion and (hopefully) financial success of the airline. The creditors due monies agreed to suspend payments after the 9/11 attacks.
but since they got delisted from NASDAQ im sure the stock buyers are satisfied. The only reason the creditors havent came for the assets yet is no one else wants them either.
VNGD was doing poorly for a year before 9/11. running two fleet types with old and expensive planes to operate isnt a recipe for success. now they cant fully switch to MD-80 because they cannot find the financing.
here come the flames, pilots always wish to defend THEIR airline. here are the facts. Vanguard is two steps away from financial disatser. When the doors close there, two months or two years you will realize that you now have to start over. maybe lakes will be hiring by then. right seat on the 1900D, junior FO.
as much as the companys investigate pilots perhaps the pilots should investigate the company they apply to. Interview to employer, dont just get excited over the shiny new, cool paint job on the airplanes and think that's enough!

Don't be such a hateful little wet behind the ears brat, ahhh? I have no affiliation with Vanguard, but you really need to back off and let people have the freedom of choice for their own situation. Most people who are qualified to fly for vanguard wouldn't fly a beech tube anyhow if layed off. They'd probably go fly corporate or something.

now go battery start your beech "airliner" and tell us more about how you have it all figured out there, skipper.

Vanguard

AMEN!
EAP, you hit it on the nose! Coming from a Beech guy! Not in 12 days though. Ground school in the MD-80 for Vanguard. Yes, it could be a risk, but no more so than stepping into any under-maintenanced, over-used regional/commuter (turbo-prop) aircraft every day. I look forward to it and think that any of these other people who put it down are whiners that can't get a better job anyways. I challenge anyone out there to tell me where they can go and realistically have a shot at upgrade in 1-2 years in an MD-80 series or any other non-corporate jet! They give qualified pilots a great opportunity. Keep looking at the financials all you weasels and you'll see that they are starting to turn a profit. I'll see the rest of you in a few years waiting for the majors to open back up while I'm left seat of the 80! "I may be wrong but that's my opinion and I'm sticking to it"!--Miller. If I am, corporate beeper action awaits.:eek:

Just stay at Colgan a little while longer and you'll see those MD80's and 737s on property real soon!! I think Ethiopian Airlines has a few to sell.

Inside joke.. No stupid replies needed.

I challenge anyone out there to tell me where they can go and realistically have a shot at upgrade in 1-2 years in an MD-80 series or any other non-corporate jet!

try airtran, they have 1.5 yr upgrade in a 717 and 2nd year captain pay is 95$ per hour. plus they have solid financial footing.

as far as being a "brat" we have had a few pilots go over there from the 1900D and all we hear is them whining about sitting in COS all day with a 737 for an out and back, all the while making no perdiem, 2 hrs a day, and the pay is no better. upgrade is out of the question on the 737 as they are reducing the fleet type.
maybe i dont have it figured out but VNGD isnt the next southwest and if they remain in business it will be a miracle. Why are they needing the federal loan guarantees if they are? cool paint job, however.

chperplt, with that inside joke, you can't be more than one person. Congrats on the news by the way! (I've heard those Ethiopian MD-80's are on the way, just got to get those D's of theirs out of the paint shop and fumigated).

jetdriven, I do agree that Airtran is a better place to go. However, I have not heard that upgrade timeline before. Are you sure about that? Also, their hiring is temporarily on hold due to sim backup. Good luck getting on with them if that's what you want. Probably won't be a long hold. Their second year captain's pay sounds good. Find one out there for me who wasn't already typed. Of course, even if it's 3-5 years for upgrade, it's a much more secure job than a place like Vanguard. But, no matter what place you try to go these days (except SWA, Jet Blue, FEDEX, UPS), it's going to be a risk. How many of the majors (passenger carrying) didn't request the Federal loan? I'd rather be at a place that I know the timeline for upgrade, make my $56/unit as a second year captain and get large jet PIC experience. Who knows, unlike what all you naysayers think, maybe they'll make it, and it could be a great career move. Like I said, I've got my beeper on layaway just in case.

i have a friend that works for airtran. yes hiring is on hold for maybe another month? they are backed up doing transition training from the dc-9. now all new hires get the 717. upgrade is 1.5 to 2 years. im holding out.
I cannot believe that Vanguard only pays 56$/HOUR FOR PIC on the 80. thats what our 3r year CRJ captains make. it shoudl be criminal.

Latest resources

Back