VA paying for training for retirees?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Hugh Jorgan

I am recently USN retired and contemplating getting my CFI, MEI etc. for something to fall back on in these rather interesting times. I'm guessing by the info I received at my TAP seminar that the VA might pay for training. Does anyone out there have any experience in this area? Thanks in advance.

I think the Montgomery GI Bill will pay for 60% of aviation training but the school has to be Part 141 approved (I think...). Hope this helps.

The school does have to be approved. Each one is usually Part 141 because they already have FAA approval of the training syllabus. It is possible for a school to have Part 141 approval for portions of their training but not all. I taught a 141 school in Texas which did not have Part 141 approval for it's ME training syllabus. That was taught Part 61. Now, 6+ years later, all it's courses are Part 141.

I used Chpt. 106 of the Montgomery GI Bill to pay for CFII and MEI training. It's a big help. The flying club at Quantico MCAS, VA is approved.

I've heard of the GI bill funding stuff like that. Problem for me is I have used up all my GI Bill benefits (I was a VEAP guy). Just hoping the VA sees fit to retrain me for the civilian world. Happy New Year to ya'll.

Workforce Investment Act

If you're relocating, you are eligible for Workforce Investment Act benefits as being a Dislocated/Unemployed Worker. For my 737 Type Rating, I am to get a $3500 grant from the Federal Govt, on top of my 60 percent ($4300) from the GI Bill. In my case, I profit $500 to get my TR! (actually, I will use the "profit" to help pay for the hotel, car and other expenses while I'm at the school).

I have contact info about the WIA for Texas and can help get you started. Let me know if you need it. BTW, nearly every state has some variation of the WIA that you can use.

Good luck!

p.s., in case you haven't heard, the Federal Govt JUST ran out of unemployment benefits on 28 Dec. The $$ won't be back until Congress convenes in January and those same funds cover the WIA! So it might be dry for a few wks, but don't give up.

Latest resources

Back