VA GI Bill Approved FLight School

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Unchilled

Does anyone know where I can find a list of schools where my GI Bill can be applied to flight training? Specifically, I'm wondering if AllATPS qualifies. Thanks.

-Brett.

If I remember correctly, most Part 141 schools participate. I know that they have to go through a qualifying program with the VA and have to have a designated VA rep for the paperwork part of it.

You have to have at least your PPL, and cannot claim any multi time until you have at least your SE Commercial ticket.

I don't know of a "list", but contact each school that you're interested in.

LTG

Any idea on how the payout actually occurs? Normally GI Bill pays $1000/month for 36 months, but at a flight school I'm going to need that money a lot quicker. I heard somewhere that if you pay for flight training out of pocket, you're reimbursed about 60%. Any idea how this works?

Thanks.

-Brett.

Unchilled said:
Any idea on how the payout actually occurs? Normally GI Bill pays $1000/month for 36 months, but at a flight school I'm going to need that money a lot quicker. I heard somewhere that if you pay for flight training out of pocket, you're reimbursed about 60%. Any idea how this works?

Thanks.

-Brett.

OK you're in for a big buerocratic headache. I called ATP's, they're not VA approved back when I asked. You might want to ask the flight school to provide some references of students who have done the VA thing, because if the school screws up paperwork it will be a long time/never until you get your money. The private ticket is all up to you, no VA money involved. Then when you finish that up and are ready to start, you're going to need a record of eligibility somehow. This can take months so the sooner you start the better. Then the VA will reimburse you (that's right, you pay it all up front) at 60% of the MINIMUM number of hours the FAA says it should to get your ticket. Thus you're unlikely to get reimbursement for all the instrument/commercial program as most people take more than the minimum number of hours to complete this program. They're somewhat generous on hours of ground instruction if I remember right. Anyway, every month you or your school administrator should send off an itemized sheet to the VA detailing all your incurred expenses, then a few months later you'll get your reimbursement. It's going to be a headache but it ends up still being a lot of money so just suck it up and jump through the hoops. Good luck!

Hey thanks for the detailed reply. I was kind of hoping the PITA paperwork would come to an end on the civilian side, guess not.

-Brett.

They give you 60% for each month you use authorised funds. If that comes out to $2500 for one month, then so be it. For each $1000 they pay you, they subtract one month from your available benefits.

The place I did my training at did all the paperwork for me. At the end of each month, I'd sit down with the manager of the flight school and make sure the flight and ground hours were accurate then sign the paper. The checks took about 5 weeks.

Call Lynn Leslie at North American Institute of Aviation in Conway, South Carolina. She is the one (or was when I was there) that deals with the VA.

viper548 said:
They give you 60% for each month you use authorised funds. If that comes out to $2500 for one month, then so be it. For each $1000 they pay you, they subtract one month from your available benefits.

All correct but they will not give you any benefit for your Private license. Sometimes can a few months before you start getting checks from them. Make sure your CFI does your 141 folder after every flight.

Latest resources

Back