V-tail Bonanza???

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
They call them ruddervators.

Basically they move like any other control surface, when you need up they both move "up" and when you need rudder they both move "right" or "left".

The best way is to look at the movement yourself, then it will make complete sense.

The rigging and routing of the cables to make it all happen is more complex however.

From a pilots point of view, I never noticed a difference in the flight charistics, except for the yaw in turbulance.

Last edited:
Many I flew had Yaw Dampers in them. Flip the switch and like a rock. Otherwise a real 'sloppy' ride in light turbulence.

WGP guy said:
So what happens if you pull up elevator while yawing right?

You get a mixture of the two.

One side of the ruddervator will move farther than the other. Thus giving you the proper mix of up and right, or whatever movement that you are commanding.

Like I said, the cable rigging gets more complex.

When you preflight the thing, you need to check that the controlsurfaces move together as well as independant of each other. It really is much simpler than is easly explained in words. If you put your hands in a v shape and move them as you go through the up, down left right process it becomes clear. That is what I had to do when instructing in the thing, mostly I just took the student out and showed him how the movements coincide with the yoke and rudder pedel movements.

Last edited:
KeroseneSnorter said:
From a pilots point of view, I never noticed a difference in the flight charistics, except for the yaw in turbulance.

It's a little 1-2-3 tap dance that you learn over time. My passengers in the back seldom felt a thing.

I've never flown a straight 33/35, but I understand they're not much different than the V-tails.

It's the short fuselage that was the cause of what was known as the "v-tail waggle" as I understood it.

Why the hell do they "dance" around low to the ground?

Seems like slowing throgh 90kts and 200' the tail wants to dance around on those V-Tails...yuck!

-mini

JimG said:
It's the short fuselage that was the cause of what was known as the "v-tail waggle" as I understood it.

It's called the "Bonanza Boogie" ;)

KeroseneSnorter said:
You get a mixture of the two.

One side of the ruddervator will move farther than the other. Thus giving you the proper mix of up and right, or whatever movement that you are commanding.

Like I said, the cable rigging gets more complex.

When you preflight the thing, you need to check that the controlsurfaces move together as well as independant of each other. It really is much simpler than is easly explained in words. If you put your hands in a v shape and move them as you go through the up, down left right process it becomes clear. That is what I had to do when instructing in the thing, mostly I just took the student out and showed him how the movements coincide with the yoke and rudder pedel movements.

But it one moves a little more than the other, won't they give you an aileron effect when you do that?

Latest resources

Back