V-G Diagram???

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

ipilot

How can you define the Vno speed in a VG diagram. I can understand the Va and Vne speeds according the diagram but I was just wondering if there was a simple answer to the Vno speed?
Thanks in advance......

Vno

Vno is the maximum structural cruising speed. It's the speed that should not be exceeded except in smooth air, and then only with caution. It's found at the upper end of the green arc on the airspeed indicator.

I know what Vno is, do you know what V-G diagram is?
I'm talking specifically about defining Vno in the V-G diagram.

To visulize where Vno is on a Vg diagram you need to have a diagram with gust lines on it. The speed at which Vno is defined occures at the point where a given vertical gust intersects the positive limit load factor line. I don't remember what that vertical gust is.

To visulize where Vno is on a Vg diagram you need to have a diagram with gust lines on it. The speed at which Vno is defined occures at the point where a given vertical gust intersects the positive limit load factor line. I don't remember what that vertical gust is.

Not entirely correct. Vno is determined at the slower of two speeds. The first being the positive 30fps vertical gust intersecting the positive load limit or the second being the negative 30fps vertical gust intersecting the negative load limit.

Ali

Last edited:
V-g diagram

Just a suggestion. Try to get a copy of the old (?) Flight Training Handbook or the old Pilot's Handbook of Aeronautical Knowledge and look for the diagram in either. I recall the FTH had a good explanation of the V-g diagram.

Establishing Vno is limited by Design Cruising Airspeed (Vc), and Never Exceed Speed (Vne).

Vno cannot be less than Vc. Vno cannot be more than the lesser of Vc or .89 Vne. This must also be considered when applying the information determined on a V-G chart. In other words, the limitations bounded by vertical gust factors must also be tempered with the certification limitations. An aircraft may be able to withstand a vertical gust at a higher airspeed and loading than what is allowed, but Vno must be established within the criteria identified here, for Part 23 aircraft.

Latest resources

Back