Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

sbav8r

I do deny them my essence
I will be passing through Utah and wanted to see some of the natural arch and bridge rock formations. Any advice on where to go would be greatly appreciated.

What kind of airplane? Will you be operating near max gross weight? How much total time do you have (how low is low?) How much mountain flying time do you have? How much time do you have to spend? Are you camping out?

What kind of airplane? Will you be operating near max gross weight? How much total time do you have (how low is low?) How much mountain flying time do you have? How much time do you have to spend? Are you camping out?

What color shirt will you wear? How many eyelets in each pair of sneakers? What's the fastest land animal? How much wood can a wood chuck chuck, if a wood chuck can indeed chuck wood? How many seashells can she sell?

Try Blanding for local cliff dwellings. Try Kanab for access to Zions and Bryce and North Rim (Grand Canyon)...I don't think they have car rentals available, so you'll need other arrangements in advance. Try South Rim for direct access to the Canyon, or Tuweep or Marble Canyon for the same. Bryce Canyon is right at Bryce Canyon, of course, and you can get a shuttle from there. Moab has some pretty areas, as does Green River, though if you land at Green River, you're pretty much stuck.

Vernal has Dinosaur diggings and petroglyphs. Tooele has a lovely view of the chemical weapons depot. Provo has Robert Redford and a lot of dying carp, and a new control tower from what I hear. Cedar City has a lot of tanker activity. Drop over to Page to see Glen Canyon Dam and Lake Powell. Take sunscreen. Try Monument Valley and take the tour.

Don't forget water.

avbug said:
What color shirt will you wear? How many eyelets in each pair of sneakers? What's the fastest land animal? How much wood can a wood chuck chuck, if a wood chuck can indeed chuck wood? How many seashells can she sell?
Avbug, I'm just gonna come right out and say it: I love you.

http://www.utahbackcountrypilots.org/ has some good resources on out of the way Utah flying destinations. They also have a group of well-informed members that can answer any specific questions. Have fun!

Thanks for the replies. Great link Bluto, much appreciated. I will be flying through in a Beech Dutchess. I pick up the plane in BOS and I'm trying to find some good sights along the way to SBA. I've flown through most of the South West but never Utah.

You don't need a back country strip. Just fly into CNY (Canyonlands Field, Moab). I'm not sure what their courtesy car status is these days, but you can definitely grab a rental. There are also companies in Moab where you can do a backcountry motorcycle tours or rent a Jeep for overnight camping on the rims.

It is truly one of the most beautiful parts of the country.

I can vouch for the brand spanking new tower at Provo!! I used it 3 days after it opened. If you go to Million Air, get there before they are too involved with closing the place to assist a customer. Not a line person in sight on the ramp. There were plenty of folks inside the building, so I am glad that I didn't disturb their priorities.

Latest resources

Back