Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

NavinRJohnson

Registered Gorer
Anyone out there working for or have some info on the KC-135 unit (151st Air Refueling Wing) at SLC? I'm relocating to Salt Lake in a couple of months and would love to get on with them. I searched their website and was unable to see if they had any vacancies. They weren't posting on baseops.net either.

I'm currently a Navy P-3 type flying the turbo-weenie down in Corpus. I'm also still fairly junior (O-3). I have the 737 type, but don't know if that would make a difference (ie Boeing experience). Also, would the Wing have other nonflying jobs that might eventually lead to sitting in the cockpit there?

Lastly, I'm flying into Salt Lake next week, would they be open to someone dropping in and shooting the bull?

Any info would be much appreciated. Thanks!

The Navin

As a Former Navy Guy who crossed into the Blue, your best bet is to call their chief Pilot or the DO (XO), and tell them your coming ahead of time. Try to pick a drill weekend. That way someone will show you around why you are there. It's like rushing a Fraternity, so put on your Eric Stratton face and introduce yourself to everyone.
Civ ratings won't make any difference. They'll hire a helo guy if they like him.
Most units have vacancies, they just don't advertise on Baseops.

Eric Stratton... Nice. I've been on double secret probation since I've entered the Navy, so we'll see how it goes. What's the op tempo been like lately with your outfit?

Thx, Navin

I don't work for SLC, I fly for an associate reserve unit. Ops Tempo is what you want it to be, thats the beauty of the reserves. A month usually offers 5-6 Tdy's usually a Business Effort, and around 6-8 Daily Sorties. I usually give them 4-5 Days a month. Just enough to be dangerous.

You can also volunteer to take an AD guys TDY to the Desert if you need the money or would like to reset your Tricare. Mostly Troughers (the reserve equivalant of Guard Bum) do that though.

I applied there last year. I flew up from FL and visited the unit for most of a day and even knew a guy in the unit. After all that, I didn't even receive an interview. They talked all about how diverse the unit was and how they needed to diversify more, but then ended up hiring all local Mormon guys. I think it's a requirement to be Mormon, so you better bring your papers with you. :nuts: I alteast expected to get an interview for flying 3/4 the way across the country and was even told I was near the top of the pile of apps. Oh Well! They were a real nice group of guys though, and took the time to show me around. I believe last year their deadline was in Feb for UPT apps, but I think I remember them saying the Rated board was before that deadline so call them soon. You can PM me and I'll give you my poc's name and number. I don't know the good/bad about posting it on a forum so I won't. G'Luck!

psysicx said:
I have heard bad things.

Bad things? You must have heard them from Active Duty guys, like me. ;) If you want to go to the desert for 200+ days a year, join AD. If you want the good taskings to Nellis for Red Flag, Spain, the Netherlands, Guam, Hawaii, Alaska, the list goes on, join the Guard or Reserves. The ANG and Reserves are "The best kept secret" of the Air Force. :D

STLCFII said:
I applied there last year. I flew up from FL and visited the unit for most of a day and even knew a guy in the unit. After all that, I didn't even receive an interview. They talked all about how diverse the unit was and how they needed to diversify more, but then ended up hiring all local Mormon guys. I think it's a requirement to be Mormon, so you better bring your papers with you. :nuts: I alteast expected to get an interview for flying 3/4 the way across the country and was even told I was near the top of the pile of apps. Oh Well! They were a real nice group of guys though, and took the time to show me around. I believe last year their deadline was in Feb for UPT apps, but I think I remember them saying the Rated board was before that deadline so call them soon. You can PM me and I'll give you my poc's name and number. I don't know the good/bad about posting it on a forum so I won't. G'Luck!
I was hired in '03 (not mormon), and was told afterwards that I was only the second one (or one of few) to be hired from out of state. Apparently, some dude before me burned them when he returned to his home state after getting trained. Many units require you to live in the state to be eligible, and some within a certain radius of the unit. I'm not sure if my unit has changed its position on it. Ask your POC if thats an issue.

As far as the unit goes, I'm very happy to be there. Great group of guys/gals that will bend over backwards for you. I've been at training this whole time, so I haven't spent too much time there, but I hear the ops tempo is slowing a little bit due to the change from E to R model. Can't wait to get back in Jan.!!

Latest resources

Back