USCG increasing DCA selections

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

sardaddy

I don't usually promote the Coast Guard as blatently as this but I was just told today the Coast Guard is increasing its Direct Commission Officer accessions by over twice it current rate.

This is a great opportunity for military qualified pilots who are considering getting out or would consider changing services. I posted this because I would hate to see someone miss an opportunity because they hadn't heard about it. Not just the increase in accessions but the DCA program itself.

If you or anyone you know are thinking about leaving your current service, or are already out, or just have a question, feel free to ask a question here or email me and I will answer any questions I can. But first go to Direct Commission Aviator as it has all of the info and paperwork to get started.

Thanks....

That is also good news for those of us awaiting word on the most recent (FY06) DCA selection board. More positions mean more chances!

Sardaddy,

With the new increases in the USCG's DCA Program will they be looking for any fixed wing drivers now or still helo only pilots? I talked with a DCA recruiter this past summer and he said that since I only have 147 hours in helicopters (IERW) and need 500 helo min to apply, I was not eligable to submit my DCA packet for consideration, even though I have almost 2000 hours TT in U.S. Army RC-12 & C-12 FWMET King Airs. He also said that there are currently no slots available for fixed wing military pilots in the DCA Program, it is strictly a helicopter only transition. The USCG DCA Program website says nothing about rotary or fixed wing hours only 500 hours not to include flight training hours as a military rated pilot and I pointed this out to the recruiter and he said the website should state the helo clause and was wrong. I meet and exceed all of the other requirements on the website and I am willing to fly rotary or fixed wing aircraft in the USCG. Please let me know if this is going to change with the future increase in need for USCG pilots. I appreciate all of your help & posting the new info!

Thanks,

Matt

On the DCA site it does say this....

"The DCA program can only accept applicants with rotary wing experience at this time."

Try contacting the DCA coordinator and asking him. He is a LT and has been very helpful in providing info for my many, many questions.

Good luck. Maybe things will change and they will need fixed wing bubbas.

Congrats Mudkow!

Mudkow: I saw the message today. Looks like you are in! Congrats!

FJ

Last edited:
Oh yeah, the message also said that the next board will be on May 22, 2006 for those who are still in the process or want to try again.

Semper Paratus

FJ

Thanks.

I appreciate all the info and help everyone has given me and the other folks pursuing this.

Kow

Congrats Matt,

Don't know if I will be here when you come through here or not. Have fun and tell us where you end up going. I might even meet you there.

For what its worth I did heard just today that the Coast Guard may be starting another round of fixed wing transitions next year to addres our growing shortage of fixed wing pilots. While this only applies to CG helo bubbas, I would assume that if they start transitioning our guys to fixed wing slots that the DCA program would start accepting fixed wing guys as well. If it is going to happen I would expect to see something happen this summer or fall in order to get guys transitioned and up to speed before the 07 assignement season.

DISCLAIMER: Take all of this with a grain of salt because I'm not the detailer, I'm just passing a little info that might help a brother out.

Fly Safe,
CK130

Latest resources

Back