• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

usapa-vote authorized-''thestreet'' -2/20/08

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
You idiot. That was not written by USAPA. This is ALPA supporters at their worst, trying to make sh!t up.

You idiot. That was not written by USAPA. This is ALPA supporters at their worst, trying to make sh!t up.

The funny/tragic thing is this: It will all fail. UScabAPA will create a self consuming monster.

That letter, legit or not, doesn't matter. The fact is, the east will do anything to bury the careers of the West pilots. They and you, are SCABS.

Last edited:
Likely, it wouldn't have 'gone down.' And ALPA national pushed extremely hard to ensure that 2 over 60s could fly domestically. That surely wouldn't have gone down had it not been for ALPA.
no, it was going to "go down" regardless of what ALPA said about it. Language had already been passed in the house and senate changing the age, but it was vetoed by bush because it was attached to other spending bills, etc, that bush didn't like. They were simply just going to throw that language on another bill regardless. This language appeared before alpa changed its stance.

ALPA has outlived it's usefulness and has become increasingly corrupt.
in what way is ALPA actually corrupt? In your answer, please state specific facts. I don't see how ALPA is all of a sudden not useful. Didn't they make east guys the highest paid pilots in the industry less than 10 years ago?

They're making Jimmy Hoffa's Teamsters look like choir boys.
cause they're breaking knee caps? Seriously...

ALPA's become a part of the problem, not the solution. It either needs to get it's house in order QUICKLY or may very well die.
nice fear mongering, but ALPA certainly isn't dying quickly...and what do you propose to "get alpa's house in order"??

And I see the death of ALPA, as it currently exists, as a very good thing for all pilots.
a good thing for pilots??? are you kidding? you want to imagine what this industry would look like if ALPA had never been? pick up Flying the Line and find out what being an airline pilot really could be like without alpa around. If alpa goes away, who's going to talk to congress about cabotage, open skies, etc? USAPA-PAC??

They're a bunch of snake oil salesmen that push personal agendas in the name of unity.
What possibly could be the "personal agenda" of an ALPA rep that he so bad wants to push on you?

No offense sir, but this entire post is extremely innaccurate. You seem to have many problems with ALPA, but I'm willing to place a large bet that you have NEVER gone to a LEC meeting bringing a resolution to fix what you deem to be the problems, or ran for elected office to "clean ALPA's house". I could be wrong and if I am, I apologize, but the reality is that most people would rather spend their time complaining about ALPA on this website then becoming part of the solution. ALPA is not a telepathic entity.

Andy, I know you're upset about how Prater handled Age-60, but are you really dumb enough to let a single issue dictate your thinking? I always figured you for a much smarter guy. Prater's time will pass. He'll likely only serve a single term. That means only another 2 years and 10 months until this guy is gone. His mishandling of the Age-60 issue has cost us a lot, but throwing out the entire union because of Prater's mishandling of Age-60 is absurd.

My understanding is that APA and SWAPA charge 1%. I don't see any additional 'value' for double the dues.
To be completely accurate, the APA raises it dues to 1.5% during Section 6, which of course takes years.
So while ALPA blowhards sit there and sing the praises of ALPA, they ignore the growing complaints from the masses.
No need for me to sing any praises for ALPA but unlike USAPA they don't exist solely to screw another pilot group.

Andy, I know you're upset about how Prater handled Age-60, but are you really dumb enough to let a single issue dictate your thinking? I always figured you for a much smarter guy. Prater's time will pass. He'll likely only serve a single term. That means only another 2 years and 10 months until this guy is gone. His mishandling of the Age-60 issue has cost us a lot, but throwing out the entire union because of Prater's mishandling of Age-60 is absurd.

PCL, it was not merely prater who pushed age 65; it was almost the entirety of ALPA national. What was the vote among the MEC reps? A couple of dissenting votes? This wasn't entirely prater; there is plenty of blame to go around alpa national.
IIRC, you were at national at the time. You should be embarassed for the push poll and abuse of the system.

But for you to act like this is the only time that alpa has been involved in underhanded dealings. Do I need mention how alpa was busy trying to recruit American's pilots while 'representing' TWA? And how about alpa going out and recruiting all of the regional carriers and then representing both the main carrier and the regional partner, in spite of competing interests? Need I go on?

No need for me to sing any praises for ALPA but unlike USAPA they don't exist solely to screw another pilot group.

I won't argue that this is trading one group of organized thugs for another group. However, alpa has a long and distinguished history of favoring one group of pilots to screw another group of pilots, including its own membership.

I won't argue that this is trading one group of organized thugs for another group. However, alpa has a long and distinguished history of favoring one group of pilots to screw another group of pilots, including its own membership.
At least screwing another pilot group isn't in ALPA's charter. The law is against USAPA's aims.

no, it was going to "go down" regardless of what ALPA said about it. Language had already been passed in the house and senate changing the age, but it was vetoed by bush because it was attached to other spending bills, etc, that bush didn't like. They were simply just going to throw that language on another bill regardless. This language appeared before alpa changed its stance.

The standalone bills to change to age 65 were destined to die in subcommittee until alpa stepped in got the committee chairs to release the bills from committee. There are a LOT Of bills written. Most die in subcommittee. The age change was no different.

in what way is ALPA actually corrupt? In your answer, please state specific facts. I don't see how ALPA is all of a sudden not useful. Didn't they make east guys the highest paid pilots in the industry less than 10 years ago?

In recent history? Failing to properly represent the TWA pilots during the American merger because they were trying to get American back in alpa? How about how alpa represented Air Wisconsin pilots when Air Wisconsin was bought by United? Or how alpa helped kill Frontier Airlines back in the 80s? alpa has a long and distinguished history of underhanded dealings.

a good thing for pilots??? are you kidding? you want to imagine what this industry would look like if ALPA had never been? pick up Flying the Line and find out what being an airline pilot really could be like without alpa around. If alpa goes away, who's going to talk to congress about cabotage, open skies, etc? USAPA-PAC??

Nice fear mongering for alpa. Tell me, what would the industry be like if alpa didn't exist? You seem to have the answers. Are you telling me that big bad management would abuse their workers? alpa's done plenty to create friction between employees and management, but is that really in the pilots' best interests? Yes, some employers will abuse their employers. But it's not universal. And there are far more areas where it would be mutually beneficial to work with employers rather than fight them over everything.
So what exactly is alpa going to do on cabotage, open skies, etc? They'll roll over and tell the membership that it was going to 'go down' regardless of their efforts. alpa's already rolled on Open Skies several times.

I think that you need to step back for a moment and check out alpa's history. It's not as snow white as you make it out to be.

PCL, it was not merely prater who pushed age 65; it was almost the entirety of ALPA national. What was the vote among the MEC reps? A couple of dissenting votes? This wasn't entirely prater; there is plenty of blame to go around alpa national.
Trust me, Andy, this was Prater's baby. He pushed and pushed and pushed until everyone went along with him. He distorted the issue, rigged the BRP in his favor to create a push poll to present to the EC and EB, etc... Do I think that more members of the EC and EB should have fought harder on this? Absolutely. Many of them fought pretty damned hard, though. There were numerous shouting matches that happened behind closed doors at the EC meeting, and the single dissenting voter wasn't the only one that was pissed off. He was just the only one that stood strong all the way to the end. The others fought pretty hard, but eventually gave in. They deserve some blame for that, but the truth is, the blame for this debacle rests solely with Prater, because it never would have happened in the first place if Prater wasn't in office. Place your blame where it belongs.
IIRC, you were at national at the time. You should be embarassed for the push poll and abuse of the system.
I did plenty of work for National, and spent time in the Herndon and DC offices, but I was not a member of the EB or EC. But yes, I am certainly ashamed of Prater and his push polling and abuse of the system. But I don't blame the entire organization when the blame should really be directed at Prater himself. Neither should you.
Do I need mention how alpa was busy trying to recruit American's pilots while 'representing' TWA?
You've been listening to too many conspiracy theories. That simply never happened. The judge will soon throw out that lawsuit, and it will rest on the ash bin of anti-ALPA history just as the failed RJDC lawsuit now does.
And how about alpa going out and recruiting all of the regional carriers and then representing both the main carrier and the regional partner, in spite of competing interests? Need I go on?
Faulty premise. There are no competing interests in representing both the regionals and the majors. Sounds like you've been reading too much RJDC propaganda also.

Latest resources

Back