USAPA Members Ready to move forward....

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Fr8

Just to make this clear. Lets rewind to the MDA days. Pretend that every mainline furloughee was recalled and they had a vacancy on the A320. You could NOT bid it as a CEL pilot without interviewing at Mainline first. You were NOT a mainline pilot. The CEL was NOT a GUARANTEED 100% flow through to mainline. It was a guaranteed flow through from Piedmont (ALG) and PSA to Mid Atlantic, but prior to flowing up to mainline you had to interview. It was in the agreement. Thus you were unable to just bid the 320 or 737 if a vacancy arose following all the callbacks. How could you be a US Air pilot if you were unable to bid anything other than the 170 without going through an interview? I've read the agreement. I know reps who helped write the agreement.

To claim that AWA pilots looked down their noses at DHC-8 pilots is downright ridiculous...We've hired quite a few guys with nothing but turboprop time.

Where do you guys come up with this stuff? We could not bid the 320 as there were about 1000 guys that were senior that would have to bid it first. Interview did not nor has not ever entered into it. Do you have to interview to move the 75?

No I don't have to interview to move to the 757. That is because my airline flies the 57. But back when I worked for the Us Air wholly owned regionals I WAS on the CEL. I had the right to bid ground school in the 170 for MDA as an FO. I did NOT have the option to bid mainline (assuming they someday recalled everybody) without interviewing first and passing said interview. Please let me know if I am wrong about this but this is how I read it and how it was explained to everybody in at my WO. In other words as a CEL pilot I was NEVER guaranteed a spot on the mainline seniority list...I was guaranteed an interview but not the job.

Again nobody from AWA would ever imply that DHC8 pilots are somehow incapable of flying mainline equipment. We have tons of ex Dash, metroliner, 1900, ATR, etc pilots.....

Last edited:
Fr8

Just to make this clear. Lets rewind to the MDA days. Pretend that every mainline furloughee was recalled and they had a vacancy on the A320. You could NOT bid it as a CEL pilot without interviewing at Mainline first. You were NOT a mainline pilot. The CEL was NOT a GUARANTEED 100% flow through to mainline. It was a guaranteed flow through from Piedmont (ALG) and PSA to Mid Atlantic, but prior to flowing up to mainline you had to interview.

Actually you are wrong - as a CEL in your situation above you could bid into the A320 with no interview. As a CEL you had the option to bypass the 170 (MDA) until you could hold "mainline".

Funny you should use a quote that I heard mentioned while flying Dash 8's for one of the wholly-owned carriers when we were trying to negotiate a flow thru agreement with your MEC..... back in 1989 !! Next time why not try getting your facts straight before posting.

PHXFLYR:cool:

Seagull also said it in 2002, at the start of the j4j/outsourcing/paycuts, that "the RJ's may not go to the WO's because they don't have the jet time like the mainline guys do" or something to that effect.

Again nobody from AWA would ever imply that DHC8 pilots are somehow incapable of flying mainline equipment. We have tons of ex Dash, metroliner, 1900, ATR, etc pilots.....

I am sorry I'm not getting through, this IS what was said by the West MEC in their briefs to NIC. This is not a feeling I had, this is not something I made up from 1989. Read the Brief!!!!!!!

I am aware that there are lots of turboprop guys at the west. I'm also aware that pilots from the West and ALG flew the exact same aircraft. (US purchased some of the America West Dash-8's.
This makes the statements made to NIC even more ridiculous.

Remember, you heard it here on Flight Info first. The rats are jumping ship. Check out the latest Philadelphia Domicile Update today. This would be comical if it were not for the sad fact that its actually happening. USAPA needs warm bodies, anyone want to volunteer?

Remember, you heard it here on Flight Info first. The rats are jumping ship. Check out the latest Philadelphia Domicile Update today. This would be comical if it were not for the sad fact that its actually happening. USAPA needs warm bodies, anyone want to volunteer?

You are so full of it.

He got a bid for DCA blockholder vs being on reserve in PHL..... So, he can't represent PHL if he is based in DCA.....

You should find something better to do with yourself.

Actually you are wrong - as a CEL in your situation above you could bid into the A320 with no interview. As a CEL you had the option to bypass the 170 (MDA) until you could hold "mainline".

I still disagree. Prove it with an excerpt from the letter of agreement between the wholly owned carriers and mainline. You are saying a pre AWA/AAA merger pilot could go directly from Norfolk Dash-8 Captain at Piedmont to US Air 737 FO in PHL without interviewing??? I was at one of the WO and I distinctly remember the agreement specifying an interview before hitting mainline (even if it was mostly a formality). Prove me wrong with the original agreement.

But even more telling I think is the fact that as a CEL pilot you would have had to start over at year 1 pay when you went to mainline (pre AWA merger). Now using Fr8's example I would not start over at year 1 pay when I bid the 757 yet a CEL pilot would have started over at year 1 pay if he/she had ever had the opportunity to bid mainline. How can you be at mainline if you have to start over on first year pay after x number of years???

Nobody wants to kick CEL pilots off the list, we (AWA) just don't want to stand by and watch you misrepresent the facts...

AWA needed this merger. AWA would be history without it. USair would have been just fine without Mesa Grande.

M

You guys actually believe this? Ask your ex ALPA guys what really happened. How about when Doug met with them and said if they caused any kind of ruckus to slow the merger he'd back out and you guys would liquadate in less than a month. Back then our ALPA guys in an act of brotherhood agreed to behave. Boy, if we'd known then you sleezes would try and chop off the hand that pulled you out of the fire pit, things would be different now. You'd be gone.

AWA needed this merger. AWA would be history without it. USair would have been just fine without Mesa Grande.

M

Oh look, a piece of straw! Let's keep grasping at it!!

Is it just me, or is there a new level of frustration w/ M-Doo, Turtle, B.C. & co. as our case goes before a court of law? You know...the same old soap box: "AWA needed this more than us."......."We would have been just fine."........"Lakefield was the one fully responsible for getting the financing done.".........."Nicolau is a senile old man (of course I didn't read the transcripts!)."..........."It's all of ALPA's fault. They took away our pension, they took away our pay and schedule, and then they took away our seniority!".........."America West is just a regional airline that flys mainline fleet.".... If the accusation about former east pilots trying to take advantage of the America West position is a valid point, would it be fair to assume that these posters were well into the furloughed list when AWA Holdings aquired US Airways?

I'm not frustrated. I am not a former east pilot that now works at American Western / US Airways. What I am is waiting patiently for the judge to read through all of the preliminary documents, set up court dates and conduct court.

He may not judge in our favor.....but then again, he just may.

Latest resources

Back