• Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

767-300ER

Reuters
US Airways pilots offer to cut pay by 12.5 pct
Friday June 25, 5:10 pm ET

WASHINGTON, June 25 (Reuters) - Pilots at US Airways are offering to take a 12.5 percent pay cut and work more hours through 2008 to help meet fresh cost-cutting targets at the carrier as it struggles to stay viable, the pilots union said on Friday.
The proposal submitted to the company this week by the US Airways negotiating unit of the Air Line Pilots Association is the first significant offer by any union at the carrier, which is seeking to save $1.5 billion, including $800 million from labor.

The Arlington, Virginia-based airline emerged from bankruptcy protection last year and is again overhauling its business plan to counter low-cost competition, especially Southwest Airlines.

The pilots would cut their wages across the board and forego any raises. They would also boost their monthly work schedule from 85 to 90 hours.

"This is important. It involves real dollars and cents," said Jack Stephan, a spokesman for pilots at US Airways. "I'm sure there will be further discussions in other areas, but right now this is where we are."

US Airways is seeking $295 million in concessions from the pilots but Stephan was reluctant to put a dollar figure on the union's proposal since other issues must still be negotiated.

But the airline called the proposal a "very good step" toward reaching its goals.

"It's clear as a result of the pilots' willingness to sit down and talk that they share the same commitment for the survival of the company," said US Airways spokesman David Castelveter.

The airline's new chief executive, Bruce Lakefield, hopes to complete giveback agreements with labor groups in September.

In addition to pilots, the company is seeking $116 million in concessions from flight attendants, $263 million from mechanics and fleet service workers, and $122 million from reservation agents and passenger service and ticket counter employees.

They are fighting for their lives over there, and bringing down the rest of the industry.

Ahhhh General,

The same thing might be said about DELTA sooner rather than later. Remember to have me remind you about pilot's bring down the rest of the industry when Dalpa signs off on a 30% paycut....

Once again, General Lee's wisdom consumes me................

Didn't realize Delta was in such great shape too. Your next my friend.

As the world turns......

Thanks General ,

I almost forgot that the world revolves around the Delta pilots .....

Please keep reminding us of that.....

Last edited:
General Lee said:
They are fighting for their lives over there, and bringing down the rest of the industry.
This is what those of you who still live the good life don't understand. If I am fighting for my life, I don't give a darn about you and I don't give a darn about how it will affect others in the industry. Maybe this union should have had more of a safety net - national seniority list and minimum contract standards? Instead the have's just stuck their heads in the sand. Well guess what General, the have'nots don't really care about how our survival affects the have's.

General Lee said:
[/]sarcasm on

I wonder where Delta pilots get their reputation?

[/]sarcasm off

General, I am with you on the support of the furloughs, I am with you on silencing the RJDC malcontents.

A remark like that, however, makes you sound incredibly arrogant. I know you are informed and aware of the terrble state of the industry. Those guys are inded fighting for their jobs. Given the uncertainty in our dyfunctional DAL family. I find it odd that you can be so obtuse.

Last edited:
We're next--ok. We are the only ones being asked for cash at our airline, and even with a 30% pay cut, we will still be the highest paid, and we have slowed down this process to think it through--not just give it away. We have plans to get the creditors on board, which was smart--and they are starting to do that. We are doing this methodically, and we (the corporation) still have assets to sell if necessary. We have plenty of other employees (other than the pilots) to plunder first before we get anywhere near Chap 11.

Bye Bye--General Lee

General Lee said:
We're next--ok. We are the only ones being asked for cash at our airline, and even with a 30% pay cut, we will still be the highest paid, and we have slowed down this process to think it through--not just give it away. We have plans to get the creditors on board, which was smart--and they are starting to do that. We are doing this methodically, and we (the corporation) still have assets to sell if necessary. We have plenty of other employees (other than the pilots) to plunder first before we get anywhere near Chap 11.

Bye Bye--General Lee
General,
Don't plan on getting any from the ASA or CMR pilots. We have subsidized your pay long enough.

Inclusivescope,

Is this guy wrong?

"And one might raise the question that if ASA and
Comair are profitable, why would they go into
bankruptcy," Ashcroft continued. "Profits at those
regionals and other wholly-owned subsidiaries are
completely notional. Delta is free to arrange those
contracts and books any way it wants, and can make
them look as profitable or unprofitable as it likes."
(Regional airline analyst Robert Ashcroft of UBS
Investment Research)

I am waiting for an answer.....You guys might be next---I don't know...??? Ask Gerry---not me.

Bye Bye--General Lee

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back