• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

USAirways has jumped the shark

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I'd be horribly embarrassed to ask an FA for a cup of coffee or a soda in front of passengers. I personally couldn't look a passenger in the eye and tell them I deserve a free drink and they don't

I simply don't understand your point of view on this. Why are you trying to equate a paying passenger with a working crewmember? Airline pilots have been getting free crew meals for many, many years while coach customers have received nothing but a bag of peanuts. Was that also wrong?

I can't understand why any airline (besides SWA) isn't matching any and all rate hikes floated out on the market.

The answer to that conundrum lies between the parenthesis in your statement.

I am simply amazed, this thread has gone this long without a big fat:
MESSA SUKKS!

PBR

Does that soda not have the same COST to the company regardless of who consumes it?

How would you justify to a passenger why you get a free drink but they have to open their wallet?
Membership has its benefits. You expect pilots to pay for the free ride they get?

Boilerup,
It is not about the COST of the coke. I bet that coke hardly cost 10 cents. It is about increasing revenue.

PCL_128 said:
I simply don't understand your point of view on this. Why are you trying to equate a paying passenger with a working crewmember? Airline pilots have been getting free crew meals for many, many years while coach customers have received nothing but a bag of peanuts. Was that also wrong?

No, crew meals aren't wrong. Crew meals benefit the company just as much as the crewmember; they keep you working without taking a meal break.

Back in 2000, I got a bagel on an early Delta flight from CVG-DEN in coach. I also remember in 2003 American had "Bistro Bags" for coach flights of longer than 3 hours. Only in the last few years have legacy airlines started cutting food service (and now snack and beverage service) from normal operations.

CopilotDoug said:
Membership has its benefits. You expect pilots to pay for the free ride they get?

Charging a crewmember for a jumpseat and charging a passenger for a beverage aren't the same thing. Hell, I'd expect most captains to waive the beverage fee for a jumpseating pilot, just as many with a business or first-class cabin seat jumpseaters there if a seat is available.

Boilerup,
It is not about the COST of the coke. I bet that coke hardly cost 10 cents. It is about increasing revenue.

Yes, I'm well aware of that.

What I've been trying to say all along is I think charging for a simple beverage is a crock of sh!t. I'd rather airline management RAISE THE TICKET PRICE to increase revenue instead of nickel-and-diming folks to death.

Look guys, I don't have a personal expectation for ultra-low ticket prices, and I have no problem whatsoever with airlines charging fairly for the services they provide. NO, I don't think jumpseaters should have to pay for their ride or crewmembers should have to pay for a cup of coffee. In the grand scheme of things, $2 is a drop in the bucket to even the cheapest of airline tickets.

That said, I think charging for a beverage is pathetic attempt at revenue generation that will play into the hands of carriers like JetBlue and Southwest that don't charge for a drink. I think pilots who believe a $2 charge will save their airline should spot their company two bones for a Diet Coke. And yes, I do think somebody that buys a full Y fare ticket on a legacy should be entitled to a free beverage while somebody with a $69 internet special fare (as AirTran currently offers IND-MCO) is not.

Who knows, perhaps I'm way off base....perhaps this new pricing structure will be popular with passengers and spread throughout the industry like wildfire...but I can't help but shake my head at the fact the RyanAir-ization of the US airline industry is being spearheaded by legacy carriers.

Last edited:
No, crew meals aren't wrong. Crew meals benefit the company just as much as the crewmember; they keep you working without taking a meal break.

And the free drink for the crew is the same thing. Keeps us working without having to take a break to stock up on bottled water in the terminal.

Back in 2000, I got a bagel on an early Delta flight from CVG-DEN in coach. I also remember in 2003 American had "Bistro Bags" for coach flights of longer than 3 hours. Only in the last few years have legacy airlines started cutting food service (and now snack and beverage service) from normal operations.

Depends. Back in the 90s I used to ride a lot on DAL out to PHX, LAS, etc.... If it was the wrong time of the day, coach pax only got a snack and a drink. The pax up front were the only ones to get a fancy meal. I think we had to pay for the headset to listen to the movie also.

I'd rather airline management RAISE THE TICKET PRICE to increase revenue instead of nickel-and-diming folks to death.

What you don't seem to be acknowledging is that airlines can't raise ticket prices. They keep trying, and the other airlines keep undercutting, so they have to cut back again. The only way to increase revenue in this deregulated environment is to "nickel and dime to death."

I can think of one passenger airline that is doing quite well and doesn't nickel and dime people to death. :)

Latest resources

Back