• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

USAirways has jumped the shark

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Charging a crewmember for a jumpseat and charging a passenger for a beverage aren't the same thing. Hell, I'd expect most captains to waive the beverage fee for a jumpseating pilot, just as many with a business or first-class cabin seat jumpseaters there if a seat is available.
The original thread starter sucked...

Boiler, I didn't mean the jumpseating crew members. I'm talking about the "free" ride the Captain and FO get. My point is, you can't compare the employees to the pax in this scenario.

The educated passengers aren't complaining about the $2 per coke.

It's the morons who write editorials to Newspapers b!tching about why a Pilot can make $150,000/yr to be little more than a bus driver. These are the idiots pissing and moaning about $2 for a coke...all while searching for the cheapest airfare.

Maybe someone should hire you into management since you seem to have it all figured out...

You ought to see these idiots bitch and moan with the US East Flight Attendants over at USAviation.com. Pretty pathetic bunch.

PHXFLYR:cool:

That's not an average fare. You've provided a red herring for an example. If most tickets were $800, then we wouldn't be having this conversation, because the airlines would be profitable. USAir can't serve the two coach passengers who paid a reasonable fare a free Coke while making everyone else pay. Want a free drink? Upgrade to first class.

Your logic is flawed. Most of the time when I'm riding in the back of an airplane, my company has paid more for the ticket than most of the folks in first. From what I'm seeing at the gate waiting to get on the airplane, a large number of first class pax are upgraded FF members. So what you're telling me is that my $800 full fare ticket isn't worth a non-$2 Coke while the guy who is sitting in FC for half of what was paid for me to be in coach gets free whatever he wants?

What needs to happen is the airline needs to charge what it costs to deliver the product.

Your logic is flawed. Most of the time when I'm riding in the back of an airplane, my company has paid more for the ticket than most of the folks in first. From what I'm seeing at the gate waiting to get on the airplane, a large number of first class pax are upgraded FF members. So what you're telling me is that my $800 full fare ticket isn't worth a non-$2 Coke while the guy who is sitting in FC for half of what was paid for me to be in coach gets free whatever he wants?

Yes, and they got that upgrade after spending many thousands of dollars on tickets to accumulate FF miles, just like you can. They've gotten their first class seat for being loyal to the airline.

What needs to happen is the airline needs to charge what it costs to deliver the product.

Can't happen in this deregulated market.

I agree...but it cannot be so. The costs are high because Aviation in General is so heavily regulated (in large part due to safety)

What do you do when you sold a bunch of tickets for this summer many months ago when there was no reasonable expectation for $135/bbl crude? It's not like you can ring those people up and raise their fares. They've got fully booked flights that will lose money as soon as they push back from the gate, so scrapping up some extra $$$ for luggage, food, drinks, etc. is the only hand they can play right now. Fares can be raised that will change next fall's revenue, but that doesn't help much for this summer, when most of the seats are already sold.

You ought to see these idiots bitch and moan with the US East Flight Attendants over at USAviation.com. Pretty pathetic bunch.

PHXFLYR:cool:

I quit visiting USAviation because that site is plagued with Frequent Fliers wanting to off duty crew members to tell them how wonderful they are and the worst cross section of our flight attendants and pilots. Regardless of what side you're on, there is no intellegent insight what so ever. It's just dreadful.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back