• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

USAir = Perpetual junk

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
In their heyday, the USAir employees (for the anal-retentive, no, not ALL of them...) looked down their noses at we lowly TWA people trying to bum jumpseats or non-rev.

From agents to rampers to pilots, they made snide remarks and even openly wished TWA would "just go away".

Funny, I always got the opposite from SWA...TC

Exactly. The pilots had nothing to do with this. If pilot pay would have kept up with inflation, a captain would be making $500,000/year in today's dollars. A pilot used to make more than the President. Southwest pilots never took a pay cut other than an inflation beating. Southwest pilots have also never signed an industry leading contract. I'm not picking on Southwest intentionally. I just get sick and tired of hearing how airlines should be like Southwest when I heard for years how no one in their right mind would want to work for Southwest. This industry sucks. There is no skill involved in making a successful career. Just dumb luck.

I would partially agree. The USAir, Piedmont, and PSA pilots hired in the 1980's can hardly have forseen the train wreck on the horizon.

For the US Airways pilots hired during the Wolf training float "heyday" of 1999-2000 - they should have known better. All the signs were there. And they were amply warned by the realists among the pilot group. Not just a case of "bad luck".

In their heyday, the USAir employees (for the anal-retentive, no, not ALL of them...) looked down their noses at we lowly TWA people trying to bum jumpseats or non-rev.

From agents to rampers to pilots, they made snide remarks and even openly wished TWA would "just go away".

Funny, I always got the opposite from SWA...TC

Funny. I always got the "TWA screwed the OZ guys because we only gave them DOH" lecture from every USAir jumpseat I got.

From agents to rampers to pilots, they made snide remarks..."

Hell, they did the same thing to their own employees, I get treated better now then when I worked there...It was pretty sad!

I cleaned airplanes at Piedmont AIrlines before the age of 10, a friends father took us there for fun quite often, I remember what a real airline was like! Management has just beat down the employees for everything, It's kind of what happens when they combine so many airlines and place all the employees to fight for whats theres (and use the groups againist each other to lower pay benefits etc.) It's been going on since 88-89 (the first merger I can remember with Piedmont PSA and USAir) and it continues, The unions should have had merger plans in place as soon as the first merger happened! (probably somewhere around 1920 when one mail carrier took anothers mail over the hump or something similar!)

Just my 2 cents!
Later,
KBB

You guys have to remember that Southwest pilots are paid the most because every other airline pilots have taken paycuts and concessions. If Delta and United pilots where paid what they were paid 5 years ago there wouldnt be that much hype on their pay.

My dad had TWA stock. I think they take the record. 2 Bankrupts. I think the stock was junk twice and reorganized and reoffered.

Never say it can't happen here. I am wondering about all the LCCs.

If a passenger doesn't have money because of the recession to travel it doesn't matter what the ticket price is. There are other expenses to traveling, and airline tickets going up $100 is just one thing.

Thank you.

Now......Gear Up!

Wake up, go put your tie on, and get out to your aircraft. Your 170 is double parked! Embraer division, HA! That never gets old!

Latest resources

Back