• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

USAir Fires Pilot For Not Removing Hat

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Look, the whole reason I went off on the personal attack is because I was attacked solely based on my opinion. Certain posters made claims against me that I felt obligated to defend. I stand behind my original post completely.

The pilot that refused to remove his hat was undermining that airports security and setting a bad example for the entire public. He forgot that when he puts on that uniform he must act like a professional and a representative of that company. When the public sees the pilots arguing with the security personnel they begin to think of security not as an effective tool, but rather a hassle. Even though I personally agree that security at most airports is far from good, undermining the process will not help it to improve.

Even if the security agent was a pain in the ass, I would be willing to bet that that pilot wishes he had just taken off the hat. I doubt anyone wants to end their career over something as as simple as that. His refusal to submit to the security screening process in this post 9/11 era is an outragous offense and gives the airline every right to dismiss him.

As for my ideas on the security issues, I don't know what would be 100% effective. I do know that this type of disobedience is inappropriate and will accomplish nothing in the long term.

By the way...because you still don't believe me about KSU academics....try this link out...its the Topeka Kansas newspaper and it starts out talking about football but ends with academics in the last paragraph.

http://www.cjonline.com/stories/090598/cat_goeringfbcolumn.shtml

These security people have gone way to far in there power hungry eyes.

I'm surprised that no one has mentioned this.

Not one of the hijackers wore ID tags to get them past security.
What about the moron with the shoe bomb?

Off hand, I know of two cases where disgruntled workers tried to make trouble with the airplane (this is were the ID part comes in). The first incident didn't amount to anything(I think they guy broke down crying). From what I understand about Egypt Air, that speaks for it's self.

Egypt Air is an unfortunate example to the security screeners. The cruiser used no weapons but his hands. Thats right no nail clippers, no leatherman.

Have any of you folks seen a newspaper stand fellow have to go through, or even a coffee shop chick? I haven't.

Security people are two steps behind, in my opinion. The only measures I've seen them take are to counter what has already taken place.

I've never had an engine failure, but I've been trained to handle it and get myself and my fish passengers down safely.

What's stopping the security people suggesting to their supervisors new techniques and ideas to stop beaches. I can almost garuntee that the folks on the last rung do suggest it to their supervisors, but it just stops right there for fear of repremand from above.

Isn't learning from others mistake just a little to late in this case?

You guys need to focus on the positive aspects of the crew strip searches...after all, there has not been ONE SINGLE flight crew that has hijacked their own aircraft. Thats right, not even one pilot has attempted it. And this can only be attributed to the highly trained and skilled screeners who dare to jump out and subdue those unruley, pesky guys in blue uniforms and hats. Taking fate into their own hands, they wrestle away those nail files and finger clippers on a daily basis...and then come back tomorrow for more!
I wonder what would happen if, during a routine cavity search by one of these screeners, you would ask him/her if its legal for you to have that axe that you always keep in the cockpit. Might be kind of fun to do on somebody who's real gung ho. Especially if they try to initiate some sort of confiscation.
On a more serious note, I agree with Flysdeltasjets. The security guys are bending over backwords to say "Hey look, I'm not profiling Muslims..sure, I'm humiliating this pilot, but hes not on the don't-offend list so he's fair game. Either that or it's the "lets mess with the white pilot guy just because we can" complex. Maybe a mixture of both. It's kind of like the movie "Airplane" when the Middle Eastern looking individuals walk through the metal detectors with bazookas and rifles and nothing happens, then when grandma walks through, she sets it off and gets assaulted.
I guess it's good that I'm furloughed right now or I'd probably end up with my name in a story like this. This PC crap is utterly disgusting.
Night all.....

I vote for crewmembers and all other employees that have to pass security to be issued ID badges with magnetic strips on the back. The info received from the data base the screener has available would have a picture of the employee, employer, job duty, start date, and end date if applicable. All the typical personal information would be on there to. If you don't want to worry about stolen badges, then you could have a little keypad that you type a password into. The screener will then check to see if it matches with the data base password. The system would be updated on a daily basis.

Or we could get a cool bar code tatooed on the back of our neck.

My thoughts on the firing of these pilots are that the screeners and management have their priorties all fouled up in these instances. Give me a break, sooner or later we'll be like little puppets following screeners and managements every little order. I don't advocate getting into a verbal argument though that gets out of hand.

By the way, I went to the Musketeen County School of Beauty which is ranked number 1. So my opinion counts. Where do you think I learned to spell so well?

Last edited:
I really believe KSU offers a wonderful education, too bad they are putting out an inferior product!!!! my 2 cents Woody

I really have no place to take a side on such things, but I would like to say a couple of things.

First, I really respect you guys for the work that you put into flying. I'm very new at all of this, but I know that you all have put in a lot of work and had to put up with a lot of crap.

Also, out here at UGA, we have to enter our ID # or swipe our card and then put our hand on the scanner to get into many buildings. These scanners are all over the place. I don't see why security couldn't implement something along those lines. I wouldn't think that it would be that expensive. But of course, expensive for me is super sizing my value meals (college=no money-im sure you all know). Well, be safe.
-eriknorth:D

Well actually anyone has the right to refuse a security search. If he refused it then he doesn't go passed the security checkpoint. Sounds like an overzealous cop to me.

I'll have to agree with everyone else on these BS security searches on crewmembers.

By the way KSU, your fans are the most irritating college football fans on earth. I make a habit of traveling around the country to different games every week and found that, by far, that KSU Stadium is the god awfulest place to watch a game. Not so much the stadium, but the annoying people.

I think if you want to rank schools the first way is to look at which ones get the most federal and private research money. Seems to me that if these companies are going to spend their money, they are going to go where they believe the work will be done the best. I don't have the latest numbers but a few years ago it went a little like this. 1. Harvard 2. University of Wisconsin 3. Stanford University 4. University of Michigan 5. Iowa State University. Like I said this is what it was a little while ago and it could be different now. Where these people are putting their money speaks volumes.

Lastly who cares where you went to school? College is what each individual makes of it. I've seen borderline retards come from Harvard and people who were brilliant who graduated from East Prairie View State A&M School of Finger-painting.

Latest resources

Back