• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

USAir Files for Chapter 11

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
DraginAss, and others. I value your question and it's a good one. Maybe it would be better, but realistically I don't think it could be done. First, USAir is small in regards to UAL and others, we only serve 200 cities last time I looked and we are mainly a east coast carrier. A little over 60 percent of the U.S. population lives east of the Mississippi. This primarily makes up all of USAIRs revenue. For an airline to start picking up 200 or even a hundred cities, I don't think just one airline has the resources to jump in and take over like you suggest. (Ex. equipment, personel, assets, ability to reserve funding for such an on taking) Someone was correct about the downsizing of the current USAIR fleet after we emerge from Chap 11th sometime in the first quarter. I hope nobody else gets furloughed from this, but I think it's going to happen. However, I do think that they will have places to fall if USAir restructures like it wants. Ex. Mid-Atlantic.

USAir folks will not recieve any further reductions in benefits or salaries then already agreed to when they signed their current TA on concessions last Thursday. I big selling point when it was thrown out for ratification. Passed with over 79% in favor of. Don't know what will happen with the remainder of the union labor groups now that court procedings are to start tomorrow morning.

Draginass, I hope I made some sense. Haven't been getting much sleep last few nights. Let me know

So my questions is, how can the industry absorb more pilots? I have to admit, as little as I know about the airlines, I am not suprised at this news. I know nobody really knows what's going to happen, but people like me fairly low on the ladder are wondering what we should do. I've seen such a wide range of opinions on a time frame for recovery, and that kind of knowledge has a big impact on flight schools, etc.

I'm also fairly young, so I'm not familiar with the furloughs of the past. Have there ever been this many before? Relatively speaking, of course. Don't get me wrong, I'm optimistic, but I also have bills to pay and am wondering if I'll ever get back into 135, which is where I was when I lost my job.

Thanks in advance for all the insight. I'm not giving up, just trying to formulate contigency plans.

Rachel

pilot absorption

The question is, how many will it have to absorb? People still want to go from point A to B. Somebody has to fly them. You hear a lot of times from companies how bad demand is for their products when in reality other factors are contributing to their woes. Could be a poor business model or competitors taking away 'their' flying. If U is losing business to other competitors then it would follow that business could grow at those carriers... increasing the demand for pilots. Overall though it might net out even.

We all need the same thing, for people to fly instead of drive, for people to go visit granny or their girlfriends or go watch a race or a football game in person. As long as the economy is slow airlines are going to have tough times. When it picks up (or at least the perception changes) the black ink will flow.

328dude said:
...but realistically I don't think it could be done. First, USAir is small in regards to UAL and others, we only serve 200 cities last time I looked and we are mainly a east coast carrier. A little over 60 percent of the U.S. population lives east of the Mississippi. This primarily makes up all of USAIRs revenue. For an airline to start picking up 200 or even a hundred cities, I don't think just one airline has the resources to jump in and take over like you suggest. (Ex. equipment, personel, assets, ability to reserve funding for such an on taking) Someone was correct about the downsizing of the current USAIR fleet after we emerge from Chap 11th sometime in the first quarter. I hope nobody else gets furloughed from this, but I think it's going to happen. However, I do think that they will have places to fall if USAir restructures like it wants. Ex. Mid-Atlantic...

I honestly think USAir's routes could be absorbed by other carriers. According to Duane Worth, there are currently over 6,000 pilots on furlough. Airlines like DAL, UAL, AMR, NWA, and CAL have approximately 5 to 10 percent of their fleet under utilized or parked entirely.

It may take some time but all the cities currently serviced by USAir could be served by other airlines.

Could be, would be... It doesn't matter.. US Airways isn't going anywhere.

Why is going CH 11 such a disaster for the airline? It might be a disaster for more pilots, but not for the airline.

Now they get to rake in the money and not pay their debt for quite a while.. Money in the bank!

Once they finalize their plan, and emerge from the BK, they get an influx of money from the Texas group and the Boston bank, plus the 900 million in loan guarantees from the government. US Airways may emerge a slightly smaller airline, but they, nor their routes are going anywhere.

Latest resources

Back