Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
C

CFIIer

I'm a CFII currently instructing with approx. 750tt. I'm 21 years old, and just graduated from ERAU-PRC with a BS in Aeronautical Science this April.
What are the odds of me actually getting a slot in the Air Force? And, if i am so fortunate, would I actually go into flight school right after OCS? I have heard that there are more pilots than airplanes in the AF, and that you'll get a slot, but may not actually get into flight school, because there are no aircraft available. The civilian industry is looking pretty sad for the foreseeable future, and since I've always had a desire to serve my country/fly a fighter, I thought I might as well take a poke at it.

Thanks for the replies

Now is the time to apply

Go see the Thread: Want Info. USNavy/USAF Active Duty.

I'm a CFII currently instructing with approx. 750tt. I'm 21 years old, and just graduated from ERAU-PRC with a BS in Aeronautical Science this April.
A buddy in the Coast Guard said that they were hurting so bad for Pilots, that the Coast Guard was looking to go to ERAU and find graduates who had their fixed-wing ratings and Direct Commission them, and bypass Navy Pilot training to send them directly to Mobile to learn to fly the Falcon. That is something to look into.
What are the odds of me actually getting a slot in the Air Force?
Extremely great!
And, if i am so fortunate, would I actually go into flight school right after OCS?
Since you have a Pilot’s license already you wouldn’t have to wait long. But you would be pulling Lt pay as you wait to start.
I have heard that there are more pilots than airplanes in the AF, and that you'll get a slot, but may not actually get into flight school, because there are no aircraft available.
What idiot told you that, we are about 1500 pilots short right now. It will only get worse in the next few months. If you get selected for UPT and Pilot training, you will go to pilot training in the AF, no Ifs, ands, or buts about it. The only problem we are having is we can’t shove enough dudes through T-37/T-6 Primary training. But I have seen OTS grads with their Civilian Rating, start UPT as early at 1 month after completing OTS.
The civilian industry is looking pretty sad for the foreseeable future, and since I've always had a desire to serve my country/fly a fighter, I thought I might as well take a poke at it.
Have you looked into the Guard/Reserve. Here is a Site for AF Guard/Reserve
http://www.baseops.net/newjob.html
This website has many Guard and reserve units that are looking for UPT applicants.
The active Air Force really, really needs pilots. So does the AF Guard/Reserve, but they allow a lot more Flexibility.

Man it's amazing how times have changed. When I graduated from college in 1994, I had all my civilian ratings (ATP- AMEL, Comm. ASEL, CFII-MEI, yada yada yada) plus about 2K hours. The airline industry was still in the toilet from the short recession of the early 90's and guys were still on the street. Couldn't buy an interview. I looked into active AF, AF reserve, and ANG... guess what. They were giving guys bonuses to get out! Couldn't buy an opportunity there either. Now we've come full circle with the airline industry (it's back in the toilet) but the military needs pilots! Gee I guess all that downsizing during the Clinton years has come to roost.

"CFIIer" I would go for the opportunity. You'll have to get varying opinions from the military guys, but I can tell you the civilian route is a long, hard-fought road. Years and years of shi++y pay, working for unscrupulous employers, and many nights eating rice and beans--just to name a few. (Now don't get me wrong military guys... I realize eating rice and beans 5 nights a week beats getting shot at, and the military is not always a bowl of cherries.) All I am saying is this guy should go for it. This is the perfect time to make the move. Don't wait for another "downsizing" cycle in the government. If you don't give it a shot, then you'll likely regret not trying.

I wish I had these kind of decisions to mull over back in 1994.

Respectfully,

RightBettor

(Now I'll go to garden and eat some worms.)

There are many posts in this forum regarding this subject, if you haven't already run into it. Yeah, it's a great time to join the military if you want to fly; there are certainly more than a few going through UPT now adays. What I'm about to mention has been repeated more than enough times, but here it goes........go AFRES/ANG if you can. This is only my opinion, but I think I would have definitely enjoyed life way more had I gone the "reserve/guard" route. There is much more opportunity to fly and no additional duties (unless you want it) in the gurad/reserve. I have some fond memories of the dudes and dudettes I've flown with but that's about it from my active duty experience, without saying any 4 letter words. My .02, go guard/reserve if you can!

Latest resources

Back