USAF Pilot Retention

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Fickel employer

The military never gets it, they go through a period like that following the 2009 recession, where retention is high and the leadership pats themselves on the back about what a great job they are doing. Not understanding that the reason for high retention is that there are no jobs on the outside.

Most pilots join the service because they like to fly, and after your first tour you don't fly that much. The military is one of the worst personnel management organizations on earth. Because ever decision is made on a one year horizon to meet budgetary demands.

I got caught in the post Vietnam draw downs, where the Navy went from 205 squadrons to 105 squadrons, no flying jobs if you wanted to stay in. So I get out, 15 months later I am getting letters saying they are short of pilots, do you want to come back on active duty.

Last edited:
The environment outside the military is just too attractive for those looking for a place to actually fly an airplane for a career (you said, "Most pilots join the service because they like to fly...") vs a desk and will only become more so in the next 15 years.

Perhaps irresistibly so...

DL recently hired a young lady (fighter pilot) who'd spent time at the Pentagon and hadn't touched an airplane in 19 months. So, there's reason to be confident and rejoice...for them.

I don't know if she had an ATP but DL allegedly requires one. Maybe they'll just get her an rATP in-house ? Hmmmm...?

Latest resources

Back