USAF Navigator

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Jamis81

I'm going through the OTS Process right now for the Air Force, and I know a lot about UPT. Does anyone know anything about being a navigator. What the training is like, how long it lasts, anything else that I should know about. Also what the flight physical is like, how in depth. And if there is anything else I should know about being a Navigator / EWO for the USAF.

And if there is anything else I should know about being a Navigator / EWO for the USAF.

If it's being a pilot you are really after DO NOT check anything but the PILOT box on the app. Re-apply until you get it or are on your last board meeting age-wise then pick either. Maybe.

You will probably deploy a lot, so don't plan on building a lot of time while you are in unless you are a pilot.

If it isn't what you really want to do, don't. Become a CFI, make less money but enjoy it more. Get as much flight time as you can so you can win either way and flight time looks great for getting a UPT slot.

Sunt Vs Upt

Jamis81 said:
I'm going through the OTS Process right now for the Air Force, and I know a lot about UPT. Does anyone know anything about being a navigator. What the training is like, how long it lasts, anything else that I should know about. Also what the flight physical is like, how in depth. And if there is anything else I should know about being a Navigator / EWO for the USAF.

Jamis, just remember, if you wash out of UPT, they may send you to Nav school, however, if you wash out of Nav school, you will never go to UPT. If you want to fly, try to do UPT first. Just a thought after teaching in T-38s and F-16s for about 12 years...

Nav Training lasts about 9 months or so. The physical is pretty much the same as the physical you need to be a pilot.

Becoming a pilot after being a nav is a pipe dream for the most part. I know there are probably exceptions to what I'm saying, but I think that the whole "be a nav first and become a pilot later" is a lie recruiters try to sell.

If you want to be a pilot, don't take no for an answer. Keep trying. It's worth the wait and the mountains of paperwork. UPT is the best thing that's ever happened to me.

Skyward80

Also realize that the navigator position is one that's slowly being phased out from the inventory. As technology progresses, the need for navs will decrease (and eventually the need for pilots will too...but that's another argument for another time). Any position that the military can replace with technology saves that person's salary, the money required to support that person and their family (remember the saying "if the military wanted you to have a family they'd issue you one...", the money required to move that person every three years, the money required to educate that person, etc.

Go for the pilot side of the house first. The rest of the force is still exciting and does the job, but when you get in the plane...you're in charge. Only problem is when you get off the plane at the end of the trip, hop, mission, whatever...you're smack dab in the middle of an Air Force that's in a bit of a turmoil and trying to figure out how to do more with less, etc. Keep researching the lifestyle of a military member, and make sure you can do the job. And always remember that your primary responsibility is to your fellow aviators and support personnel...not to the guy up the chain of command that wants you to do a boatload of extra non-flying projects because it makes the squadron look good to his boss. If you can't be the pilot, work whatever aviation related position you can...it's still pretty good to be part of a crew/team out there doing the job.

It can be a very good time...thousands of flyers over the years can't be all that wrong. Good luck...

What? Nav training?

These two nav's walk into the BX and see this gumball machine that gives out pilot wings, so they walk over. It costs 75 cents. The first nav reaches into his pocket and pulls out two quarters. The second nav reaches into his pocket and pulls out a buck. So the first nav says to the second nav, "hey, you buy your wings first and with the quarter change, give it to me and I'll buy mine." The second nav says what a great idea. So the second nav puts in his buck, spins the wheel, gets his wings and pins them on and puts the quarter change in his pocket. The first nav, a little worried, goes hey pilot give me that quarter. The pilot now says "Shut up, Nav".

Don't do it!

Becoming a nav will do nothing but give you a slim opportunity to become a Mil pilot after about 3 years. There have been a lot of guys crossing over to go to upt but it is very competitive amongst all of the young navs, i.e. ranked #1 or #2 off of the base ect. If you get a slot you will be owned by the AF for next 11 or 12 years. Go to ots as a pilot but dont take your chances of getting stuck as a nav on a 4 man E-3 crew and your only job is to start up the INS, or up in Minot ND on B-52's. Do yourself a favor, apply to every guard and reserve unit until you find one that will send you to UPT.

Bones

Last edited:
As others have said, becoming a nav is going to limit your future as the need for them goes away. A bit like becoming a typewriter repairman at the dawn of the computer and laser printer age.

I have known a few active duty pilots who were prior navs, but most made the switch years ago when the military was short on pilots. Believe it or not, the USAF is actually now getting fat on pilots, after years of not being able to train them fast enough. The airline environment has become crappy enough that many folks are staying in the military. The cycle repeats itself.

A guard/reserve unit is a somewhat different story - many units sent their navs to UPT when they switched aircraft to something which didn't require a nav. Regardless, a guard/reserve unit is the way to go anyway, IMO.

If you are not physically qualified to be a pilot and want to enjoy military flying then by all means go and enjoy UNT, it's a fun job. If you want to try military flying and are hard up against the age cutoff then it's worth it.

But if you are qualified to be a pilot, not near the age limit, and want to be a pilot then DO NOT go to nav school. Go in as a non-rated officer, or enlist in a guard unit. Fly general aviation planes, you'll have the money for at least some flying. By not going to nav school you are available when the door to UPT opens.

It's not that being a nav is a bad job, it's just not the best way to the pilots seat.

And to cap it off, the fun jobs, like EF-111 or F-4G EWO are almost all gone.

I was a nav for 20 years and enjoyed every minute of it. But don't let a recruiter BS about it being some kind of express lane into UPT.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back