• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

USAA question...

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Life Insurance is something else USAA is good with. Being a C-17 pilot nobody would give me a 20 year $750K term policy except USAA. Inc. would give me a $500 policy for the same rate as USAA's $750K policy. I honestly tried finding a fair rate with at least 8 companies and all said no. Kind of funny when they called. They were all nice and friendly until I told them I fly C-17s into combat environments. The tone then changed and they could not help me. The odd thing with USAA is the C-17 is not on the "approved" list for the low insurance rates while the C-130 is! So, while a $750K policy costs everyone else about $37/month, mine costs $75! If anyone has found a friendly life insurance company with good rates, I am all ears!

We have been clobbered by hail storms four different times in ten years. USAA has always been great with the claims. Both my neighbors got their insurance coverage checks, and they were greatly reduced compared to what USAA covered. I have no complaints. Sometimes you get what you pay for...

An Insurance buddy of mine told me once you never save money with lower cost insurance. The proof comes when you have a claim. Story; I insure my C-172 with Avemco. 17 years ago, my previous C-172 was in a wooden hangar for its annual. The hangar was struck by lighting, burnt to the ground, melted my airplane into nothing, and all that was left was a few steel parts and the engine with a prop hub. The log books also burnt up with airplane no proof of it being the insured airplane. I showed them a yellow tag from a cyl that had been replaced on the engine. They paid in 5 days, no deductible because it was an act of god. I insure with USAA and Avemco, because I am not interested in saving money, only service.

I was sued by a neighbor. My personal lawyer was very relieved we had USAA and the local lawyer they contracted for my case was top notch.

An Insurance buddy of mine told me once you never save money with lower cost insurance. The proof comes when you have a claim. Story; I insure my C-172 with Avemco. 17 years ago, my previous C-172 was in a wooden hangar for its annual. The hangar was struck by lighting, burnt to the ground, melted my airplane into nothing, and all that was left was a few steel parts and the engine with a prop hub. The log books also burnt up with airplane no proof of it being the insured airplane. I showed them a yellow tag from a cyl that had been replaced on the engine. They paid in 5 days, no deductible because it was an act of god. I insure with USAA and Avemco, because I am not interested in saving money, only service.

I've got my 152 covered by AVEMCO. 600/yr.

Brother in law works as an insurance salesman for last thirty years. He is not with USAA. He told me not to even consider leaving them, they are as good as it gets...

Brother in law works as an insurance salesman for last thirty years. He is not with USAA. He told me not to even consider leaving them, they are as good as it gets...

Yep, and I've had a few friends leave........ And once you leave, they won't take you back! They found out the hard way.

...Add the rising rates in auto--which I (perhaps mistakenly) attribute to the push to insure both enlisted and dependents back in the 90s instead of just the original target demographic and it was just time to leave...

15 year member here with zero, zippo claims. Gosh sir, some of us E's can actually drive safely.

Last edited:
Have have USAA for everything! Home/Auto and Banking. Love them! Even have there Credit Cards which have been ranked the best.

Love USAA bank - but have never gotten a good quote for insurance from them. Mortgage, investments, credit cards sure. But not insurance.

Yep, and I've had a few friends leave........ And once you leave, they won't take you back! They found out the hard way.

Nah, not true. Or at least not true in every case. I left them once several years ago and came back a year or two after that with no problem.

Latest resources

Back