• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

USAA Opens Doors to All Military

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
At my current command, taken as a straight percentage, for the year 2009 so far, the numbers do not indicate that O's are any less likely to have an alcohol-related incident(including DUI) than junior enlisted personnel.

Maybe you got taught some of that "new math" from a few years back but "taken as a striaght percentage, for the year 2009 so far, the numbers" MOST CERTAINLY DO indicate that O's ARE less likely to have an alcohol related offense.

And USAA's concerns aren't just for DUI. It's overall safety and responsibility. Something your average 18 to 24 year old still has a lot to learn. That age group is very inclusive of the Es and very exclusive of the Os due to college graduation requirements.

Add to that the higher screening Os go through for selection to the service on personal and financial responsibility. Let's face facts. Os are there to lead the Es. We expect leaders to be a bit more on the judgement and responsibility side. Not to say there aren't some dirtbag Os out there or some really intelligent, educated and responsible Es. It's just that the percentages stack these qualities more in the Os favor and USAA in the past used this to their pricing advantage. Now they are accepting more risk with taking on thousands of 18 to 24 year olds which requires a little more pay premiums to cover the influx of a higher risk group.

/Former USMC CPL

Last edited:
..Not to say there aren't some dirtbag Os out there or some really intelligent, educated and responsible Es...

Hmmm, so by your logic, except for those rare intelligent, educated and responsible enlisted personnel, the remainder are unintelligent, uneducated, and irresponsible? That's an interesting assertion. USAA and I disagree. Their actuaries have everything under a microscope, I'm sure, and would not take on risk that did not make sense. I say that based on USAA's decades long record of conservative management. At any rate, this is mainly an automotive discussion, as relatively few 18-24 year old E's (or O's) are property owners yet.

USAA is just another insurance company now. Compare rates and coverage. Go with the best deal. USAA has purposely shed its image as a rather exclusive insurer.

USAA is just another insurance company now. Compare rates and coverage. Go with the best deal. USAA has purposely shed its image as a rather exclusive insurer.
Don't agree, but you may be right and only time will tell. But I am not changing after 44 years.

I've been with USAA for over 25 years. That said, I'll dump them in a heartbeat if this changes the overall rates significantly,... which I think it will.
I believe it is a mistake for the members. But, then again, it's about profits for USAA.
We'll see.

I've been with USAA for over 25 years. That said, I'll dump them in a heartbeat if this changes the overall rates significantly,... which I think it will.
I believe it is a mistake for the members. But, then again, it's about profits for USAA.
We'll see.

I may be mistaken, but I believe that your rates at USAA as a current or former officer/NCO are better than the rates offered to other groups. Junior enlisted and offspring are insured through USAA-CIC, rather than the USAA most of us are familiar with. Here's a quote from Wikipedia:

"Adult children of USAA members and U.S. military junior enlisted personnel make up a group known at USAA as "associate members" insured through a subsidiary called USAA-Casualty Insurance Company (USAA-CIC). USAA-CIC is not an insurance exchange but rather a Delaware Insurance Corporation."

More elitist “there goes the neighborhood” crap. Or “How could they let THOSE people in the Country Club”? And people wondered why fraggen officers was so popular.

Latest resources

Back