• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

USA JET Has Mass Layoff

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Things must have relaxed a bit in the last 20 years. Maybe someone got hurt zooming to the airport, who knows?

Yeah when things really slowed down things changed, probably back in about 04-05 maybe? In 2000/1 it was still pretty crazy and guys would never wonder far. Starting in '07 I was lucky enough to get hour call outs most of the time so I could buy a house 25 mins West of YIP. I certainly didn't want to buy a house near YIP.

don't get it?

Y I certainly didn't want to buy a house near YIP.
I live 2 miles south of the center of KYIP, used to be able to lay there in bed at night and listen to the music of the airplanes, the L-188's, the DC-9's, and those noisy LJ. I work there, I keep my airplane there, I fly the Warbirds there, and I have easy access to the FSDO. I have worked in every building on the airport; it is just very homey. In fact my dad was working there when I was born, building B-24's. Cheap beer at the Lakeview Tavern, what is not to like about living near KYIP?

what is not to like about living near KYIP?

It's nice to get away from work once in a while! lol Although now the training area for the company seems to have magically moved over my house recently!

...that PilotYip mentioned living 20 minutes away from Willow Run Airport.

Back in the day, my first paid flying job was out of there, and if I recall correctly, we had to be at the airport literally 20 minutes after the pager went off, the fo would do a 5 minute preflight, the captain grab the paperwork, at 25 minutes after pager went off we were taxiing out, with the goal of being airborne literally 30 minutes after the pager went off.

You left off the part about rushing and making a 30 minute call out then waiting 4 hours for the freight to show up at the pickup point.

yes the glamour

You left off the part about rushing and making a 30 minute call out then waiting 4 hours for the freight to show up at the pickup point.
Ah! yes the glamour of the on-demand world, but the company got paid for moving the airplane and the pilots got paid for flying it, nice combination. If we waited until it was time for the cargo to show up, they might find some at the destination and not need the airplane, once you launch, they pay.

Did you say you guys had a 210?????

Did you say you had a C-210, pressurized? Did a certain VP need a personal toy? What did you trade a Falcon 20, DC-9, or a learjet for it?

I hope you keep up the pace and can hire some guys soon, the job market is dismal out there.............

Latest resources

Back