Usa 3000

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Jiminmem

I know there have been quite a few threads over the years on them. I was curious how life is there currently. I've heard commuting is very tough, but I live in one fo their bases, DTW. How is it if you live in base? What are schedules like, min days off? Trips? Is DTW likely intially?

I've also heard of being knocked out of base. Does this happen often?

Being a Pittsburgh resident, I'd like to learn more, too - is PIT relatively senior or junior? During the summer slow periods, are there enough 'voluntary furloughs' to avoid letting new hires go? And, of course everyone's favorite question, what does the upgrade track look like? Thanks!

Most junior base is Ft. Meyers, FL. Of the last class of four the senior guy got EWR, next two got PIT and junior guy got RSW.

Latest vacancy has 10 FO openings in ORD, 6 in DTW and 1 in CLE.

Two aircraft that were leased out for a couple of years are returning to the fleet this fall, that combined with the folks getting recalled will mean hiring of 30+ pilots this fall.

Commuting can be tough if you don't live in or near base as most/all trips are day trips. Hard to beat though if you live in base.

Upgrade currently about 3 years or a bit more, but what will happen over the next few years is anyones guess.

Guarentee is 11 days off per 28 day bid period. As most trips are 7-10 hours in length per day, most guys get more that that.

Starting pay is 54/hour and 65 hours per bid guarentee (works out to 70 per month). You get an A320 type right off the bat. Crew meals every leg.

Hope that helps.

Thanks. I commute right now and hate every second of it, so was looking at places that have DTW based. Spirit is my first choice but after over a year applying without a call, figure I have to try other places again.

Thanks again

Latest resources

Back