Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

US Military Cargo Outsourcing..Unbelievable!!!

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Well, it's no secret that DHL has made a fortune flying USPS and FFV out of Bahrain and into IQ and AF. Kalitta et el would bring it as far as BAH, then DHL would take over flying the last leg into the war zones.

Those contracts were awarded to Kalitta, who subcontracted to DHL 'cause it was cheaper for them.

Money talks.

The fact is that the contract you speak of is between Kalitta and the USPS, not AMC.
Presently the U.S. DOT prohibits U.S. operators and "N" registered airplanes from operating commercially into Iraq (certain AMC missions excepted). Kalitta contracted with DHL to move the mail into Iraq, since DHL is not subject to U.S. DOT rules.
Trust me when I say that this was not done to save money for Kalitta. If anything it cost Kalitta the same "fortune" that DHL made on the deal.
Kalitta flies its own AMC flights to wherever they need to go, in accordance with the airline's approved areas of operation.

There's always an exception to the rules. We have flown our whales into Afghanistan for a few years now but the Stated department did not allow our whales into Iraq until a few months ago.

Yes, shoulda dot my tees and crossed my iis.

You stated that N registered airplanes haven't been operating in Iraq until recently. Again, this is untrue. YOUR N-registered 747's haven't been operating in Iraq until recently...but plenty of other N-registered aircraft have been operating in-theater for some time, now.

I wonder if the Russians take pictures and measurements on our vehicles they carry so they can pass that information on to their military?

I wonder if the Russians take pictures and measurements on our vehicles they carry so they can pass that information on to their military?

You would have to be very naive to believe that such information isn't already readily available and in their possession.

Russia is a hostile country. They provide weapons to countries and groups that then use them against our soldiers.

Since US made weapons and vehicles have been used against our soldiers, we must be a hostile country too.:rolleyes: Got it.

This may explain a little. . .

From Cargo Facts Update 1/8/09

NATO extended its lease of six An-124 freighters from RUSLAN INTERNATIONAL for another two years through the end of 2010. Ruslan, based in the UK, is a joint venture of Russia-based VOLGA-DNEPR AIRLINES and Ukraine-based ANTONOV AIRLINES, formed to market the outsize capacity of the two carriers. Under the agreement, which first took effect in early 2006, two units are based in Leipzig and dedicated full-time to NATO, while four more are required to be available at any time on request.

Latest resources

Back