US Marines/weight standards

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

k2774

I'm in the process of trying to get into the US Marines officer/pilot program....Two questions. Does anyone know where they stand as far as pilot numbers are concerned? Second, If I don't fall into the weight charts, what is the maximum body fat percentage for a 5'9" male.

Don't know what the pilot numbers look like. Your OSO should be able to tell you, I believe they get a slice of the overall numbers to fill, though it may be centrally controlled at HQMC.

Max BF for Male Marines is 18%. You have to compute it using a specific process (neck - waist tape measurement) and the Marine Corps chart, so it may be +/- your actual body fat percentage. Wet or electronic measurements aren't acceptable. The taping has to be done by a designated individual from the unit ops department, a measurement by your doctor is not acceptable. The process is described in MCO P6100.12 under body composition, Chapter 3. The local recruiter's office can probably do the measurement for you.

The order on how to do the measurement is at this link:

http://www.usmc.mil/directiv.nsf/bc...eafa6185256bcd004aeac1/$FILE/MCO P6100.12.pdf

Good luck.

The max weight for a 5'-9" male is still 186 lbs, but you are allowed up to 22% body fat as determined by the tape if you can still run a first class PFT. Check out the PFT section to see how many crunches, pullups, and and what 3-mile run mile run time will score you a first class.

Semper Fi.

Few quick points: make ABSOLUTELY, POSITIVELY you SIGN for a guaranteed aviation slot. The OSO might say you can compete for it at the Basic School. Those slots are few and far between and the decision on who gets them has little to do with aviation.
(Years ago, I did 6 months TAD for an OSO before going to flight school)

SkidDriver is absolutely correct concerning how the bodyfat is measured. Hydrostatic (i.e. being dunked in a water tank) is the most accurate method known, the electrical method is not far off. Even the caliper method is forbidden. The Corps allows none of the above: you do the tape measure method described above - and that is not done by a certified physician or physical trainer but rather a lance corporal in the Operations Dept. The Corps wants runners, not weightlifters.......

Sept 11 has really skewed the pilot numbers. As you can imagine, more than just a few aviators changed their minds about getting out. However, I believe we are still short of pilots.

Finally, if you don't get the particular aircraft you desire, there is the possibility of switching from helos to jets later in your career. Also, if you go reserves after your active duty commitment is complete, you can switch airframes (i.e. from a Phrog to a Snake) or even possibly stay in the training command flying T-34C's or T-45's (that is a new program because many Marines were joining Navy or Air Force reserve units due to location)

Good Luck and Semper Fi!

Gunfyter

What was your diet like? What kind of foods were you eating? This is an insane amount of cardio. What was your bodyfat when you were running this much and how much muscle were you able to retain doing this much cardio?

Over the winter I bulked up on purpose to try and gain muscle and strenght for the freestyle wrestling season thats about to start, I went from 11% BF to 8% in one month but I increased my running eat VERY clean and drank NOTHING but H20. Sounds like you have a real challenge staying in shape.

Gunfyter

With all this running and such I was just wondering how many pullups, pushups, and sit ups you could do?

I personally have a hard time doing more that 12 pullups but Im tall and weigh about 225lbs. Being tall (6'3) hurts me because I have long arms and a long range of motion to pull thru. Pushups on the other hard aren't that bad, I did 60 the other day in a little over a minute and could have banged out a few more if it had counted for something. How were your times running the 3 miles?

Latest resources

Back