Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

GogglesPisano

Pawn, in game of life
Kudos to our German colleagues. What a sad, pathetic state of affairs the US pilot profession has become.

Lufthansa pilots suspend strike
A strike by about 4,000 pilots at German airline Lufthansa has been suspended - with union officials agreeing to resume negotiations.

The action - which had been scheduled to run for four days - was called off after less than 24 hours of delays and cancellations for passengers.

The pilots had walked out at Lufthansa, Lufthansa Cargo and Germanwings over job security and pay issues.

There will be no further action until at least March 9, the union said.

A spokesman for the Cockpit union added the two sides had reached an agreement after a two-hour long hearing at a Frankfurt industrial court.

'Disproportionate'

However the strike has already disrupted an estimated 10,000 passengers around the world, with the carrier trying to arrange alternative travel for them.

It had been offering train journeys to domestic air travellers, and attempting to rebook international passengers on other airlines.

The airline normally offers about 1,800 flights daily - of which 160 are long-haul trips.

A Lufthansa spokeswoman said that about 960 flights had managed to go ahead.

The strike will be officially lifted at midnight on Monday (2300GMT) - but it is not clear when services will return to normal.

Lufthansa's earlier offer of negotiations with the pilots was not initially taken up on Sunday before the strike began.

Earlier a Lufthansa spokeswoman told the Associated Press that an injunction had been filed in Frankfurt, saying the action was "disproportionate".

'Unfounded'

German Transport Minister Peter Ramsauer had warned that the strike would hurt the country's economy as well as Lufthansa's reputation.

The airline - one of the world's largest - feared the action could cost it about 25m euros (£21.9m; $34m) per day.

The Cockpit union had arranged the action amid concerns the airline was increasingly relying on foreign pilots who fly for less pay.

It is worried that the company could try to cut staff costs by shifting jobs to foreign subsidiaries such as Austrian Airlines or Lufthansa Italia, where wages are lower.

The starting salary for a first officer in a Lufthansa cockpit is 62,000 euros, and 115,000 euros for a captain, according to the company's recruiting website.

Media reports say pilots' salaries can rise up to about 325,000 euros.

Cockpit has called for a 6.4% pay rise for pilots, more say in company decisions and commitments that pilots would keep their jobs when Lufthansa moves passengers to cheaper foreign affiliates.

But Andreas Bartels from the airline told the BBC the pilots' fear that their jobs would be outsourced was unfounded.

"That's what they fear but that's not reality. If you look to the reality, it's nothing like replacing or transferring jobs to other companies or other airlines [in] the Lufthansa airline system," he said.

Last-minute failure

LUFTHANSA

•Founded 1926
•Passengers: 76.5 million in 2009
•Flights: 893,200 in 2009
•Net loss: 32m euros in Jan-Sep 2009
•Employees: 118,945 as of Sep 2009 Source: Lufthansa

Like most other global airlines, Lufthansa has struggled in the downturn. Sales slumped 13% in the first nine months of 2009.

As well as suffering from the more recent drop in consumer demand, the airline has also been facing the long-running threats posed by low-cost airlines and high fuel costs.

The UK's flagship carrier British Airways has also been locked in a dispute with cabin crew over pay and changes to working conditions.

Members of the Unite union voted overwhelmingly on Monday to take action - but did not immediately announce strike dates saying they hoped to negotiate with BA

In France, air traffic controllers are planning a four-day strike at Paris' Charles de Gaulle and Orly airports.

Unions have called for the strike from Tuesday to Friday in protest at plans to integrate European air traffic control, fearing it would lead to a loss of French jobs and civil servant benefits.

Story from BBC NEWS:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/pr/fr/-/2/hi/business/8529352.stm

Published: 2010/02/22 19:43:07 GMT

© BBC MMX

62,000 EURO is about 84,000 USD

325,000 EURO is about 442,000 USD

Not bad...except cost of living is astronomical and you will pay 42% income tax on your 62,000 euros plus a "city" tax of 14%-17%.

A one bed room one bath 625 square foot apartment near Frankfurt will run you 1250 euros plus utilities...

Anyway, I guess I'm saying the grass is not always greener, but the beer is better...

Germany individual income tax rates ,2009
Tax % Tax Base (EUR) 0 Up to 7,834 14% 7,835-52,552 42% 52,553-250,400 45% 250,401 and over

Last edited:
The starting salary for a first officer in a Lufthansa cockpit is 62,000 euros, and 115,000 euros for a captain, according to the company's recruiting website.

Media reports say pilots' salaries can rise up to about 325,000 euros.

Now take off 55% for taxes and it don't look much different from here.

you guys are so dumb. Even with 40% percent taxes they still make more than us. Plus because of those taxes they dont have to pay so much out of the ass for the benefits we pay for. So even though they are taxed they have kept it together more so than we have. Before you open your mouth and make yourself look stupid...think.

They would salivate and ejaculate with taxes as low as 40%! You are off by 20%+.

Also, "we" don't pay for benefits like medical to any significant degree. We have them covered for the most part by negotiated employer paid premiums. It is a part of total compensation. Don't even start that we don't have about the best available medical services in the USA.

Add to the fact that I have the best beer, as a homebrewer as well as many other benefits that come with being an American citizen, and we still come out respectable.

This is all apples to oranges, due to the .gov exerting varying degrees of control and perverting typical marketplace situations here versus anywhere else. We still have quasi-regulation, but it is light compared to most places. What we have is worse, than heavy regulation, and proper de-regulation, but I'll not drift the thread.

Good for them to have a proper livable wage for new hires, but realize this, too. With Ab Initio, the pilots who begin to fly the heavy plastic buses for Luft, have been employees of the airline for a long time while they build exp., licenses and time. No way to compare anything really.

you guys are so dumb. Even with 40% percent taxes they still make more than us. Plus because of those taxes they dont have to pay so much out of the ass for the benefits we pay for. So even though they are taxed they have kept it together more so than we have. Before you open your mouth and make yourself look stupid...think.

Exactly!!!!

Plus your write offs - for Children, Mortgage insterest, etc is much more significant. Your pension (social security) is also worth a lot more. My Dutch relatives pay roughly the same taxes as I do. Yet make a heck of a lot more money. Housing, food etc. is quite a bit more but, have you seen the WOMEN over there?

They would salivate and ejaculate with taxes as low as 40%! You are off by 20%+.

Also, "we" don't pay for benefits like medical to any significant degree. We have them covered for the most part by negotiated employer paid premiums. It is a part of total compensation. Don't even start that we don't have about the best available medical services in the USA. Are you serious? WE don't pay for medical services? I pay a very high premium at my company. And when my company pays the rest; it is potential income I will never see. We pay over 7200k per person on health care and come out 40th overall in infant mortality and 38th in longevity. All European countries beat us handily and pay roughly 3000k. We over prescribe and waste much of the great health care we have.

Add to the fact that I have the best beer, as a homebrewer as well as many other benefits that come with being an American citizen, and we still come out respectable. You mean being able to carry a gun. That will help you a lot when you get held up by some undereducated fool who decides to shoot you in the face because he has the drop on you. Take it from a former Marine: A hand gun outside the war zone will never protect you, unless you walk around in a state of 24/7 paranoia ready to draw anytime anywhere.

This is all apples to oranges, due to the .gov exerting varying degrees of control and perverting typical marketplace situations here versus anywhere else. We still have quasi-regulation, but it is light compared to most places. What we have is worse, than heavy regulation, and proper de-regulation, but I'll not drift the thread. Once again we have the government in our bedrooms and telling us what we can and can't do. Europe is a democracy with probably even greater freedoms.

Good for them to have a proper livable wage for new hires, but realize this, too. With Ab Initio, the pilots who begin to fly the heavy plastic buses for Luft, have been employees of the airline for a long time while they build exp., licenses and time. No way to compare anything really. What is this point supposed to prove?

My friend; please move out of the country - while people like me try to fix the last 10 years.

The most important thing to remember is we are not barbarians in this country, if someone without insurance is shot, injured acutely, or dying on the streets our Doctors are obligated to treat them. WHO PAYS FOR THIS? People with insurance!!!! Those of us with insurance are overcharged when we visit the hospitals so they can pay for the deadbeat who refuses to pay for insurance. That is one big part of health care reform - PUNISH those who refuse to get insurance.

Last edited:
8 replies, ok now 9, and still now word from instructordude on how pilots are over compensated!

Latest resources

Back