US Flag

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Titan5

Anyone know if there is a reg that requires the US flag displayed on a US registered airliner? I know all of the heavies, and most RJ's have them but I rarely see the flag displayed on a turboprop. What is the reasoning for this???

well, I had heard that a Flag Carrier was required to display the flag on their aircraft, but I don't have anything to support this. Can anyone point to sources which support this (or disprove it, for that matter)

We fly into Canada on a regular basis and our Dornier prop does not have a US flag on it, unless you count the US Airways logo which is a pseudo US flag.

Don't personally know if there are regs on having your country's flag on your aircraft but I don't see how it would be necessary because the registration number would tell you where the aircraft came from.

Skeezer

Last edited:
As crazy as this sounds I've heard any carrier that carries mail for the postal service must display the flag.

While we're at it, why do they often paint the flag backwards (blue on the right) on one side of the airplane? They certainly don't paint the name of the airline backward on one side...so why the flag...?

It's supposed to symbolize it flying in the wind.
You will also notice that the flag on servicemens right shoulder are also backwards. (ie moving forward, flag blowing back...)

If I remember my military traditions. The union will always point forward on any vehical, ship, aircraft, or person. Just like when the flag is drap over a wall. the union must always be on your left side. It's all in proper display of the flag.

As for why aircraft have to have it is beyond me.

CRAF (Civil Reserve Air Fleet)

I believe that most major US airlines have an agreement with the US government to charter their airplanes during or preparing for war. This was used extensively during the 1st gulf war. As it was explained to my by a Delta captain, that the government “charters” the airplane. He went on to say that in this economy that it would really help the bottom line of most of the airlines.

I don't think it's because of being a flag carrier.

I heard that there is no official flag carrier for the United States.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back