US Customs?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Hi!

The guys I knew were tripping all over themselves to get in, as they thought it was a great gov't job. I didn't have enough FW hours. That was a while ago.

We just had 2 guys leave for customs. One of them got his hiring letter and was put in the pool about 3 years ago. I don't know about the other guy.

I know it's taking 2-3 years from when U get your interview to get hired.

cliff
YIP

Dunno if you are still interested. But supposedly there is going to be a new annoucement for pure RW guys. That is a rumor as I haven't seen the notice.

FWIW

Pure RW guy? I doubt it. Customs hires dual rated or FW guys only. There are so many dual rated guys out there, they just pick who they want. I gave up my job there to fly for a regional. Sometimes I regret it, most times I don't.

Well Flav, first off it isn't Customs program you remember anymore if you were here and then left prior to the merger.

The program is going to have to integrate some of the BP ground agents into the training mix that were in the BP Air pool prior to the merger. My guess is that there may be only a limited announcement. But according to the instructors there will be an anncouncement at some point for pure RW guys. So it is possible if the stars align that this information may benefit some of those here. Then again maybe not. It is the Gov't and the rumors do run wild.

The following message is from another forum. Thought I would copy it here if anyone is interested. Closes soon.
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica][/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica]*************There are two different announcements. One is for current CBP employees and one for the public. The one below is for the public.

You'll notice that one announcement shows series 1881/AIA the other is for a 2181/Pilot/AIA. The series 2181/Pilot is for the public and the trainee will be converted to 1881/Air Interdiction Agent after training is completed. Promotion potential after that should be GS-13 as well.

I could not post the direct link to the page at USA Jobs, but follow the link below, go to search jobs, then search series and type in 2181. This will bring up several pilot jobs and you will find the link to the position open to the public. You should be able to find and read the 1881 position open to CBP employees by selecting yes in the place it asks if you are a current federal employee and type 1881 into the series.

Please contact Steve Shockney / National Recruiter, CBP Air & Marine at 202-345-0424 with any further questions.

Please read the announcement thoroughly, Requirements, How to Apply, etc. before calling. Steve receives many calls and is happy to speak to all, but many questions can be answered by reading the announcement fully.
AIRCRAFT/AIRPLANE/HELICOPTER PILOT (AIR INTERDICTION AGENT)

[URL="http://jobsearch.usajobs.opm.gov/"]http://jobsearch.usajobs.opm.gov[/URL]

Vacancy Ann.#: WAS-125037-AGO
Who May Apply: Public
Pay Plan: GS-2181-11
Appointment Term: Permanent
Job Status: Full-Time
Opening Date: 11/27/2006
Salary: From 51,972.00 to 67,567.00 USD per year

JOB SUMMARY:
This position supports our mission to serve as the guardians of our Nation's borders. We are America's frontline. We safeguard the American homeland at and beyond our borders. We protect the public against terrorists and the instruments of terror. We steadfastly enforce the laws of the United States while fostering our Nation's economic security through lawful international trade and travel. We serve the American public with vigilance, integrity and professionalism.
Who May Apply: Open to all U.S. Citizens. In addition to competitive referral lists, separate referral lists may be generated for candidates eligible for appointment under the following special authorities:

Displaced Federal employees requesting special priority selection consideration under the Career Transition Assistance Plan (CTAP) and the Interagency Career Transition Assistance Program (ICTAP)
Individuals eligible for VRA appointments
Individuals with disabilities
Individuals eligible under other noncompetitive appointment authorities (e.g., those eligible under overseas appointment, Peace Corps, 30% or more disabled veterans, etc.)
Organizational Location: This position is located in the U.S. Customs and Border Protection, Office of Air and Marine, various locations.

Relocation Expenses: Relocation expenses will not be paid.

Note: One or more positions may be filled using this vacancy announcement.

KEY REQUIREMENTS:
U.S. Citizenship
Background Security Investigation
Residency in the U.S. for last 3 years (see explanation)

[/FONT]

customs interview

Friend of mine got called for an interview. Was told they would be interviewing about 100 people. Anyone have any idea what to expect in OKC?

Yeah, From 5 years ago, but I have heard that there hasn't been much change. Of course it will depend on the type of position you applied for also.

Fixed wing expect a C-210 ride, rotowing expect an A-Star and if you are dual rated expect to fly both.

All real straight forward stuff. Log book check, oral, personal interview, flight.

Oral; FAR's/Aim, general Aviation knowledge, just making sure you are who you say you are and that your log book matches your experience.

Personal interview when I went through was a panel of 3. They just want a feel of who you are and why you are interested. Similar to a panel interview for most higher end aviation jobs. Tell us about something dumb you did in an airplane. What is your greatest accomplishment. What questions do you have on and on.

Flight; VFR and IFR procedures, steep turns, stalls, Hood time, climbing and descending S-turns, practice appchs.

I am fixed wing only so I don't know the baseline for rotowing. I would assume you just do what is natural to do for the position you applied for. Throw in autos and hovering.

Oh yeah... don't worry if they don't let you land the 210. It is standard for the instructor to land it as they put a lot of wear and tear on the airframe during interviews a bunch of years back and stopped letting interviewees land the thing.

They aren't looking for a Yeager or a Hoover. So if you make a mistake correct it and fess up. They are down to earth guys at the school house (mostly) and are interested in finding someone who's experience matches what they put on the resume and that they wouldn't mind spending a couple of weeks with during a TDY.

Best of luck

No autos or other emergency stuff in the helicopter. (or airplane for that matter) Normal takeoffs & approaches, slope landings, quick stops, pinnacles, confined areas, non-precision approach.

Latest resources

Back