• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

US considers raising foreign ownership limits

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I think Open Skies benefits the EU than US. with about 80% of the commerical airline market in the USA (shrinking though).. The EU wants a crack at it..... Open Skies will not benefit US Pilots...

Rez O. Lewshun said:
I think Open Skies benefits the EU than US. with about 80% of the commerical airline market in the USA (shrinking though).. The EU wants a crack at it..... Open Skies will not benefit US Pilots...

Looking at how great the U.S. pilot is doing at the present time, I don't see how it can possibly get much worse.

Even if foreign airlines are given rights to fly domestically, it all comes down to supply and demand. The consumer will ultimately dictate which airlines make it or not. I think service, not price, would be the big factor.

I'm not sure, given the current state of the industry, if too many foreign carriers are anxious to commence service domestically. You might see Air France, Lufthansa, and BA want to connect JFK with a few other places domestically, but I highly doubt any of them are going to want to place mid-size aircraft over here to compete domestically.

Big Beer Belly said:
Following your logic, I'm curious why UPS hasn't already replaced most of us?
Given the tenuous relationship between UPS and it's pilots and the good money you guys make, when UPS can figure out a way to do it they will. They don't want to pay more than they have to for pilot services. They're working on it and have been for years.

I work for one those "foreign airlines". Now let's have a look at my pay/benefits package: $10140/month (7 years with the company), 6 weeks of vacation, PPO healthplan for the whole family at ZERO cost (no deductable/ co-payment), 15.5% of your salary, invested by Fidelity, or if you so like, take the cash and run (what a concept)...

I know that all of you have better pay, cheaper healthcare, longer vacation, and better retirement, but over all I'm pretty happy with my pay package.

RP 04 said:
I work for one those "foreign airlines". Now let's have a look at my pay/benefits package: $10140/month (7 years with the company), 6 weeks of vacation, PPO healthplan for the whole family at ZERO cost (no deductable/ co-payment), 15.5% of your salary, invested by Fidelity, or if you so like, take the cash and run (what a concept)...

I know that all of you have better pay, cheaper healthcare, longer vacation, and better retirement, but over all I'm pretty happy with my pay package.

Bad analogy. Your wage and benefits are not applicable to the US. When Lufthansa or similiar companies employ US workers they don't offer the standard Euro bennie package. They offer the much more cost effective US standard. Your six weeks of vacation is two.

You might be right, but I'm based in the US, getting paid in US dollars, my family and I visiting US hospitals and doctors (if needed), again, what a concept...

RP 04 said:

That's pretty good money. Would you cross a picket line to get or keep it?

RP 04 said:
You might be right, but I'm based in the US, getting paid in US dollars, my family and I visiting US hospitals and doctors (if needed), again, what a concept...

Good point.... who is it?

That's pretty good money. Would you cross a picket line to get or keep it?
Did you cross a picket line to get your current job, or would you cross a picket line to keep your current crappy pay?
Rez O. Lewshun said:
Good point.... who is it?
Cathay

RP 04 said:
Did you cross a picket line to get your current job, or would you cross a picket line to keep your current crappy pay?
Cathay

How about answering the question? I'll answer yours with an emphatic NO! After seeing how airlines operate towards their employees there is absolutely no way I would cross anyone's picket line for any purpose either as a customer or pilot. While I don't make what you claim to make, as a pilot for a private family I make pretty good money for the hours worked so part of your question does not apply. While it's several years away, many US pilots working for foreign airlines will be in the position of flying outsourced or struck work from US freight haulers. What will you do if that happens?

Latest resources

Back