• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

US Airways to meet with Delta creditors

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
HP/US could try to convince BA they would replace MDs/737s with new 737s after the takeover but what about the 130 or so fairly new Airbus aircraft at HP/US.

Crap! I guess my plans to buy a Honda are now thrown out the window because I currently own a Ford. Is this your logic for this debate? C'mon man! Just because somebody owns airbus doesn't mean that they will never be a boeing customer in the future...

Andy

I don't think it will be with UAL. The main thing about all this consolidation is that the airline being acquired needs to be in bankruptcy for the plan to achieve DP's Synergies, if Delta doesn't fly, it will be NWA.
BK certainly helps getting rid of duplicate terminal leases and feeder contracts, but the overlap between the two is minimal. It's doable and probably just a tad behind US/DL on the synergy level.

:pimp:​

Crap! I guess my plans to buy a Honda are now thrown out the window because I currently own a Ford. Is this your logic for this debate? C'mon man! Just because somebody owns airbus doesn't mean that they will never be a boeing customer in the future...

Andy

If you think changing a fleet of airplanes is like you changing your car brand you need a better arguement, man! Your talking Billions in sims, maintenance, parts, and training just to start. DL is a guaranteed giant BA customer. The combined DL/HP/US is an unknown. BA stands to lose a lot if this deal goes through, what do they stand to gain? Very little.

BA and DALPA are going to play a huge role in the fate of this. It doesn't look like a win for either one.

I'm curious why HP/US employees would support this. It would mean being dragged into bankruptcy the 3rd time for US employees and second for older HP employees. Not a great place to be. Also, if I lived in CLT, PHL, or PIT and liked it, I would be pretty worried. "Synergy" is corporate speak for job cuts.

737 repalcement at HP/US will have to be an Airbus...
No, it won't, and you can't provide any proof that it would. Parker has said numerous times that he will play Boeing and Airbus off each other and take the better deal. Only pre-AWA USAirways was an exclusive Airbus buyer. Even if the Delta buyout doesn't go through I would expect USAirways to announce a Boeing order (with or without an additional Airbus order) in the near future.

I don't think many do. Most are probably just indifferent like I am. I really don't see any benefit to me (and after all, that's what it's all about).
It's all speculation at this point, but DP will lay out his proforma statements and I'm sure they will show huge profits if this merger goes through. The status quo isn't bad for either airline except for the fact that eventually contracts will expire and each airline will be forced to pay through the nose to avoid costly job actions. You have to ask yourself if you'd rather try and negotiate a new contract when a single carrier makes $500M, or would you rather negotiate if consolidated carriers made upwards of $2B?

I think it's a no-brainer.

Last edited:
Who says it will be one airline buying Delta?
It's called negotiations.
USAirways throw out a $$$ number if they get all of Delta then so be it. Then sell off assets.
If Delta's creditors rejects the deal, Parker sweetens the pot buy either money from within or from another airline's credit that will join the mix.
If Delta's creditors name a ballpark price, Parker and his bankers call United, Continental, American,Southwest or whomever and part out Delta and make the deal work.

Or USAirways put in an ante for Delta, Continental, American or whomever puts in a bigger ante for Delta then USAirway and United go for merger part III????

The wild card in all of this is American.
We will see how this all works out by this time next year.

the lawyer for the creditors speaks out

US Airways Group Inc. will pitch its $8.6 billion unsolicited offer for Delta Air Lines Inc. in a meeting this week with Delta and the committee representing the unsecured creditors in Delta's bankruptcy case, a lawyer for the committee said Tuesday.

The lawyer, Daniel Golden, said in a telephone interview that the committee's advisers will be present at the meeting in New York, along with US Airways officials and Delta senior executives.

"We have great respect for Delta's management," Golden said. "We think they've done a very good job in Chapter 11. But at the end of the day we're going to make a determination about what works best for the estate and the unsecured creditors."

Golden said the creditors will weigh the pros and cons of the offer against any other offers that may come in and the merits of Delta's standalone plan. "We have a job to do, which is to maximize recoveries for unsecured creditors," Golden said. He declined to say if any other airline has made an offer to buy Delta.

Hey GL, somebody better straighten this guy out. It sounds to me like he's not giving DALPA any respect as a creditor.

Latest resources

Back