Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

US Airways Parking planes in CLT next week?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Have someone you know check the computer system. It shows the parking of numerous 737s in the desertover the next couple of months. I don't know if these where schedule returns.

US AIRWAYS TO IMPROVE CASH POSITION THROUGH BANKRUPTCY COURT APPROVAL OF AIRLINE SALE/LEASEBACK TRANSACTION
ARLINGTON, Va., September 2, 2005 [font=Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular]--[/font][font=Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular]The U.S. Bankruptcy Court for the Eastern District of Virginia today entered an order that will allow US Airways Group, Inc. to close on its previously announced plans to sell certain Embraer regional jet aircraft and slot assets to Republic Airways Holdings. Upon closing, the transaction, expected to occur within the next two weeks, will provide US Airways with approximately $100 million in cash.[/font]

[font=Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular]US Airways also filed motions this week, and received interim approval, to sell and leaseback five Airbus A330’s, nine Airbus A319’s and five Airbus A320’s. The sale and leaseback transactions are scheduled to be heard by the Court on Sept. 9, 2005. If approved and consummated later this month, US Airways would realize additional liquidity in excess of $120 million, bringing the total liquidity generated from aircraft transactions in connection with its emergence from Chapter 11 to approximately $300 million, which will strengthen the company’s cash position as part of its proposed merger with America West Airlines. If the merger closes as planned, the new airline is expected to have approximately $2.5 billion in total cash shortly after closing, including approximately $800 million in restricted cash.

[font=Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular]“We are very pleased with the results of our asset sale programs. The additional liquidity realized from these transactions, when added to the cash being generated from other capital resources, should allow us to emerge from Chapter 11 with an even larger cash cushion than originally anticipated,” said Ron Stanley, US Airways executive vice president of finance and CFO.[/font]

[font=Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular]Stanley added that these developments are extremely positive given that high fuel prices have created financial turmoil for the airline industry.

The Court also approved today a deal reached between US Airways and the Pension Benefit Guaranty Corp. (PBGC), resolving nearly $2.7 billion in claims. The agreement provides for US Airways to pay the PBGC $13.5 million in cash, in addition to giving the PBGC a $10 million note and 70 percent of the common stock being allocated to unsecured creditors.
[/font]

[font=Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular]US Airways Group, Inc. and its domestic subsidiaries filed voluntary petitions for reorganization under Chapter 11 of the U.S. Bankruptcy Code on Sept. 12, 2004.

The US Airways and America West merger will create the first full-service, low-cost nationwide airline, with a pricing structure offering a network of low-fare service to over 200 cities across the U.S., Canada, Mexico, Latin America, the Caribbean and Europe, and amenities that include an extensive frequent flyer program, airport clubs, assigned seating and First Class cabin service. The airlines will operate under the US Airways brand and will be headquartered in Tempe, Ariz. The merger is expected to close in late September or early October 2005.
[/font]

[font=Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular]The start of a new era. The moves happening now at UAL and USAir will assure ticket prices won't go up as much as they should over time. [/font]

Someone asked about Airtran vs. Continental. My pick is Airtran and the reason is the existence of the new LCC model for legacies. No one wants to be the one to raise prices and lose passengers. DAL employees now cost less each than SWA employees. NWA employees are on track to undercut DAL employees. Where does that leave AA? And where does it leave CAL? Does it support 60 pilots/month hiring for more than a brief period? Probably not.[/font]

Last edited:
This whole thing is a fiasco for U workers. My friends that went there are almost all out of the industry all together now. Sad.

These were all scheduled returns. No anticipated furloughs, although that could certainly change. Tell your friends to hang in there. Roughly 200 retirements/year for the next 10 years. The "new" industry definitely requires a considerable amount of patience and fortitude, but still beats the alternative. I'm sure I had some of your friends as F/O's and to a person, they were outstanding. If they have found other employment, best of luck to them. If not, I look forward to seeing them back in the next couple of years.
doh said:
This whole thing is a fiasco for U workers. My friends that went there are almost all out of the industry all together now. Sad.

No one wants to be the one to raise prices and lose passengers. DAL employees now cost less each than SWA employees. NWA employees are on track to undercut DAL employees. Where does that leave AA? And where does it leave CAL? Does it support 60 pilots/month hiring for more than a brief period? Probably not.

Not quite sure I follow your logic here.

Latest resources

Back