• Friendliest aviation community on the web

bravodude

SubscribeYou are in: Home Air Transport News Article

g_logo_fi_news.gif

DATE: 06/02/07
SOURCE:Flight International

US Airways lines up narrowbodies
By Mary Kirby

US Airways says it plans to place a narrowbody order shortly to replace its ageing fleet of Boeing 737-300s and -400s.
The carrier late last year launched an internal review to determine its replacement needs, and began weighing whether it should place orders for current-technology aircraft with Airbus or Boeing, or forge short-term leases for current models while waiting to see if new-technology designs emerge.
"We've made a lot of progress [with the review]," US Airways chairman and chief executive Doug Parker said last week. Speaking before US Airways' proposed $10 billion takeover of Delta Air Lines was rejected, Parker said that the planned order was "on hold" pending the outcome of that deal as it would have resulted in "a much bigger aircraft order". He added that the airline was planning to place an order "pretty quickly".
According to Flight's ACAS database, US Airways has 56 737-300s and 40 737-400s on lease from several lessors. Three 737s and one Boeing 757 will be returned to lessors during the first quarter, Parker says, adding that US Airways intends to operate a mainline fleet of 364 aircraft by the end of 2007.
The carrier has previously said it intends to initially replace 60 of the narrowbodies within two years.

Any ideas anyone.

I would bet that they go with the Airbus. They already have some sitting around especially with the America West side and Airbus always tries to get rid of those things for dirt cheap to keep things going. As for new technology stuff??? I would guess you wont see much with that until after 2009 or 10 after the 787 gets on its feet and flying.

Bus

I vote for Airbus. Remember Airbus footed a portion of the bill when LCC emerged from bankruptcy. Thats why LCC is still on board for the A350. Maybe they will try to get away from those (A350 orders) if they can order narrow bodies instead.

CB

as much as I love Boeing airplanes, from a business standpoint it makes sense for USAirways to go Airbus. The fleet of 319/320s is not going anywhere for a long time, so it makes sense to go to one fleet.

Doogie has repeatedly stated that he wasn't married to either manufacturer and would go for the best deal or even split them. I wouldn't be surprised to see a split order for 320s and 737-700s. I just wish Boeing would hurry up and make a replacement for the Guppy.

Doogie has repeatedly stated that he wasn't married to either manufacturer and would go for the best deal or even split them. I wouldn't be surprised to see a split order for 320s and 737-700s. I just wish Boeing would hurry up and make a replacement for the Guppy.

Don't think the 737 replacement is going to happen too soon...

The NGs are what? only 6-8 years old?

Plus WN has most of the NG line tied up with CAL and Airtran taking the rest.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back