• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Free market this!

hire_me said:
Boo - right on!

Unions have a time and a place to stand firm. But any move by labor to prevent economically prudent competitiveness by their employer is shortsighted. In the end the free economy will prevail. Those that want to be a part of it will have to adjust. Those whom fight it will lose.

HM- I don't think you read my post the way I meant it to be interpreted exactly. I'm a fan of using the union to subvert the free market, not for the free market to slowly chip at the compensation scale until we reach a market-based contract. I'd advocate that you not get hired at all until all furloughed union members have been offered a job. It's what's best for the industry, even if it sets you back 5 years; you are a sacraficial lamb to the greater good.

See, many pilots who have yet to work for a 121-type airline are willing to fly for a wage that cannot support them for the short term, believing that, "In a couple of years we'll all be moving up."

Yeah, we will, but not b/c of the free market! If we were to allow the free market to reign supreme, the wage of a 777 driver would go to an even lower level that that of a Beech 1900. If I were to offer you $18,000 a year to fly the 1900 or 17.5 to fly the 777, you'd take the 17.5, right, b/c you'd get a 777. But part of the reason you want the 777 is what comes with it (the respect and high pay, but only b/c those pilots busted their ba!!s for 30 years to get there and earned the position).

See, b/c pilots are compensated well (we are, relative to many other professions, even computer programers :)) and the attributes that make a good pilot often are similar to those of a socially strong individual, there is a mistique to being a pilot. Normally, if you were to have to devote 10 years of your life to job training (the military route) or pay 30,000 + and learn on the job, moving up as you go (the civilian route), the market would deem your skill set and experience to be worthy of a premium salary. Now, over the long run, if we were to let the market control alone, pilots would become highly paid. But there would first have to be a huge correction downward as all of those pilots currently willing to work for less would pressure the wage downward until it reached a level that people were no longer willing to become pilots at, given the costs to attain the skill set needed. I'd guess this would be around $13,000 a year (I have no factual basis for this # other than my own opinion). This would take at least 30 years, probably more! Those of us who currently work in the field cannot afford to sacrafice our entire career (30 years + wipes out every single one of us) just for a free-market experiment.

That is why lowering the compensation package is such a big issue for us (well, some of us know this, most just jump on the band wagon b/c they know that THAT guy knows what's best for them). It's alot easier to lower the compensation then it is to raise it up. The US$ slowly loses value over time. If we allow concessions in the down times (easy to do) then we have to fight tooth-and-nail to get them back in the good times (manamgent tells us that's why it's the good times, b/c our wages aren't pulling the company under. Don't believe it!). End result, by the time we get our wages back to where they used to be, the economy goes back into the crapper and we start the concessions again. So, now things cost more, but we only got back to the level we were at 5 years ago, and we slowly devalue ourselves over time. Yes, all this b/c of some small concessions made in a downturn. Downturns happen after ups, so, by not getting a raise, we ARE conceeding in the downturns. Concessions on top of this built-in 'inflationary concession' will kill us.

We can't afford concessions, and, right now, we can't afford to lose mainliners and replace them with regionals. Mainliners may be old and stogey, but they have the wisdom and patience of their experience, experience that has taught them to always ask for a little more, and to not freak when things don't go the way they wanted. That's why they're paid more. Anyone with some RJ time could fly a 74 or 77 without breaking a sweat, and though the landing might be a bit rough (74's flare pretty high!), the plane will get put on the runway at its destination. It's not flying skill anymore at that level, it's the payoff for patience and experience. To allow the payoff to disappear to 'market forces' is not something we can allow to happen in our lifetime.

Keeping new hires out of the mix and getting the furloughs back is for the good of all pilots, as is eliminating the idea that there are 2 different groups of pilots. We are all pretty much skilled enough to fly anything out there (do you really think a $50K RJ Captain is 1/6th the pilot of a $300K DL Captain?), but we cannot allow the market to reflect this idea. Please do everything in your power to achieve small gains. Though it will benefit the industry as a whole, it will benefit YOU immediately. You deserve a raise if you work at a regional, and no pilot deserves a pay cut.

I'll get off my long-winded high horse now. Sorry.

-Boo!

Back to the origin, the US RJ's

This is Roy Freundlich with a US Airways MEC update for Wednesday,
July 9, with two new items.

Item 1. In a press release today, US Airways announced that it will
not take delivery of the 25 Bombardier 75-seat CRJ-900 Series 705
small jet aircraft it ordered in May, which violated the maximum
small-jet weight and seat limitations of the July 2002 Restructuring
Agreement. The Company stated it will instead contract with Mesa
Airlines to fly at least 25, and possibly up to 55 70-seat small
jets that do comply with the pilots working agreement. The total
number of aircraft being ordered and to be operated under US Airways
code will not change according to the Company's and Bombardier's
issued statements. There will be no reductions in jet for jobs
positions, contrary to the Company's public statements.

Bruce Ashby, president of US Airways Express, made several
irresponsible statements in the Company's press release today
suggesting that US Airways is taking punitive actions against
furloughed mainline pilots as well as wholly-owed pilots. These
statements focused on assigning blame to ALPA for forcing the
Company to comply with the pilots working agreement.

ALPA required US Airways to bring its aircraft order into compliance
with the scope provisions in the July 2002 Restructuring Agreement.
Despite the Company's ramblings in its press statement, the total
number of aircraft ordered and jets for jobs positions available to
APL pilots do not change.

US Airways' attempt to force additional small jet authority through
an aircraft order and then fabricate the notion that this would
create additional jets for jobs positions was one of many attacks on
your contract. Violations of scope provisions put additional
pressure on current mainline pilot jobs and cause delays of mainline
pilot recalls.

There were several other statements made by Bruce Ashby in the
Company's press release that were extremely misleading. ALPA and US
Airways never entered into negotiations to consider permitting
operating the CRJ-900-705 aircraft at other airlines. These aircraft
exceeded the agreed-to limits. MEC Chairman Bill Pollock reminded
management that authority to operate these aircraft on the mainline
remained available.

This issue is part of the much larger issue concerning US Airways
disloyal administration and systemic non-compliance of the pilots
working agreement. With a record 235 grievances pending, the MEC
has been taking steps as part of a comprehensive program to bring US
Airways into compliance with the working agreement, as well as
resolving other outstanding issues.

For the first time since US Airways entered and emerged from
bankruptcy, it has been forced to comply with an important provision
of the pilots working agreement. This is only the beginning. Expect
further information on a restore compliance initiative being
implemented during the upcoming weeks.

Re: Back to the origin, the US RJ's

Blah Blah Blah
stillaboo said:
This is Roy Freundlich with a US Airways MEC update for Wednesday,
July 9, with two new items..

Item 1. ALPA National does not like Regional Jets because we do not feel the airplane is a "real" jetliner to be operated by mainline pilots at a mainline airline. We further fear that operating these airplanes at mainline might grant legitimacy to the type and possibly lower wages expectations for the senior mainline pilots who are comfortable in their jobs. We will fly 737's, or we will fly nothing!

Item 2. Your union effectively got this threat off the property to another location where we can restrict it. The fact that it will be flown by pilots who do not have voting rights at ALPA National is a side benefit.

And this is an intentional misquote, but you read in between the lines and that is the message.

~~~^~~~

Other Voices...

Bombardier - "who cares."

US Airways - "who cares, we fly them a little cheaper now."

US Airways passengers - "Who cares"

Mesa pilots - "Y I P P E E ! climbs like an empty 757, the air conditioning works and upgrades are like four months dude, I'm holding a great schedule."

Last edited:
"Mesa pilots - "Y I P P E E ! climbs like an empty 757, the air conditioning works and upgrades are like four months dude, I'm holding a great schedule."

And-" Maybe I can buy a house without wheels in 14 years. I love Jonathno."

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back