US Airways and UAL combination disc.

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

davis

Over the last six months I ve read numerous articles from the clt papers and wsj quoting D Bronner of the RSA who now owns 37% of US Airways. He keeps mentioning that he would like to acquire some ual assets and
employees for the following reasons:
1. give ual cash to emerge from bk
2. help ual lower its unit costs
3. keep the assets within the code share

some points to ponder if the two had combined.
1. us would have eliminated the md 80's f100's and 737-200's
2. downsized PIT
3. closed the PIT training facility
4. strengthened the carribean

Whatever these knuckleheaded ceo's do lets hope they can preserve jobs and step up to the plate and
compete in the low yield low cost market.

I have played some golf back in 'Bama (before Mesa took over BHM and made it virtually impossable to get home any more). They have said on numerous occasions that Airways is #1 EXPENDABLE, and #2. "an EXPEIMENT. If it works, then they will use lessons learned to acquire other airlines, or parts of other airlines. If it doesn't then oh well. They will sell, or lease the 737's they own at airways and make their money back.

I really doubt they care about the employees or their working conditions.

Also, they can't compete with LCC's if Airways management makes WAY more/yr than any LCC management. J/B CEO David Nielman makes $200k/yr. (plus stock and bonus'). Siegel makes about 3 times that plus bonuses and incentives.

Correct me if I am wrong on this one, but I believe that an Airways 737 f/o makes more than a SWA Captain. Hmmmm, hardly competative.

Is airways about to furlough again? I heard that out on the line last week. If so, you guys have fun flying for MESA.

2003 10 YR Capt rates for swa..... $136/hr

any F/O at airways has been there since WWII, I would bet you guys make more than that.

Not after all the concessions.

Just look at Reepicheep's answer, he should know.

Hey Reepicheep, sorry to see your on the 737 now. How many training events have you done in the last year ?

Typhoonpilot

Everyone at US Airways is at top scale (12 years). 737 F/O's are at around 95/hr. and captains 140/hr. More importantly because of our route-structure and hubbing our 737's are in the air maybe 7 hours per day compared with 12 for Southwest. There's your cost problem; it's not how much we pay our pilots.

I just completed my 3rd complete initial on the 737 and 6th overall in my career here. I was displaced from the 767 to the A320 a little over a year ago but lost my A320 line and in lieu of going on reserve came over to the 737 again.

12 year Captain rate at SWA today: $152.58. To increase either 4% or 7.6% in September 2003 depending on where the company puts the government money. That will be another story.

blzr said:
I have played some golf back in 'Bama (before Mesa took over BHM and made it virtually impossable to get home any more). They have said on numerous occasions that Airways is #1 EXPENDABLE, and #2. "an EXPEIMENT. If it works, then they will use lessons learned to acquire other airlines, or parts of other airlines. If it doesn't then oh well. They will sell, or lease the 737's they own at airways and make their money back.

I really doubt they care about the employees or their working conditions.

Also, they can't compete with LCC's if Airways management makes WAY more/yr than any LCC management. J/B CEO David Nielman makes $200k/yr. (plus stock and bonus'). Siegel makes about 3 times that plus bonuses and incentives.

Correct me if I am wrong on this one, but I believe that an Airways 737 f/o makes more than a SWA Captain. Hmmmm, hardly competative.

Is airways about to furlough again? I heard that out on the line last week. If so, you guys have fun flying for MESA.

Nice. Have fun flying for Mesa? It just kills me to see the hate some of you guys have at the WO's.

B6Busdriver said:
Nice. Have fun flying for Mesa? It just kills me to see the hate some of you guys have at the WO's.

Amazing isn't it? The whole world is out to get the ALG, PDT & PSA folks. That attitude must be a great asset in the interview process!

Latest resources

Back