Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Yes. If you're Liberian.

now that is funny,

gents & ladies ask any former US ship crews what has happened to their jobs and you'll see your own destiny. Albeit, a little different in the direct carriage of pax, but long term there will be indonesians crewing the airplanes.
Or maybe us, we'll just be living on their wages.

now that is funny,

gents & ladies ask any former US ship crews what has happened to their jobs and you'll see your own destiny. Albeit, a little different in the direct carriage of pax, but long term there will be indonesians crewing the airplanes.

Actually, you guys already ARE living on their wages.

I made a whole lot more in my first job out of college as a Third Mate with a bottom feeder shipping company than any FO working for Mesa, American Eagle Comair or the like. I also had a lot less debt.

Globalization of the airline industry will mean wage alignment.

I'm over here watching crews from many of the former Soviet States making around $2,000 per month to fly a four engine IL-76.

The Jones Act is the only thing keeping US sailors employed. It basically requires that any shipping from one US port to another US port must be on ships built in the US and crewed by US sailors. The Jones Act is constantly underfire by lawmakers from the grain producing states who want cheaper shipping on the Great Lakes. My brother is a Merchant sailor and a US Naval reserve officer and he tells me the only shipping jobs worth having on planet earth are due to the Jones act. If it goes away the US shipping jobs are gone. You simply couldn't live in any basic way on the wages paid to most foreign sailors.

Actually, you guys already ARE living on their wages.

I made a whole lot more in my first job out of college as a Third Mate with a bottom feeder shipping company than any FO working for Mesa, American Eagle Comair or the like. I also had a lot less debt.

believe me it can get worse, not that it is not despicable enough as it.

doubt you will see what happened in the US shipping industry to happen in the US aviation industry. The big difference... people are not cargo. Most folks don't care how their 57inch plasma got to their house therefore they can turn a blind eye to that cargo ship from Monrovia or Panama. However, they may express a little more concern when they load their family on a plane bound for Mouseland and see two guys with turbines on their heads at the controls.

People are simple, they express very little emotion or passion until something affects them, their family or their pocketbook personally. True, Hadji and Ackmed will make airfare to Disney cheaper, but in today's day and age I just don't see the general public allowing that to happen. Look what happened to the Dubai ports deal.

However, they may express a little more concern when they load their family on a plane bound for Mouseland and see two guys with turbines on their heads at the controls.

Ha, ha, ha. That's a nice one, ryan!
I think you meant turbans , no?
Methinks they'd get a bit of a headache if it really were turbines on their head!!!:smash:

good catch. Thanks b757. Can take the boy out of the plane but not the plane out of the boy.

It's all ball bearings anyway... and hookers.

Latest resources

Back