• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

US Air, what do you think will happen?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
So US Air needs more people to take their flights.

Maineline US Airways flights are full. I've tried to nonrev many places within the system over the past 4 or 5 months and most flights are oversold.

As far as Express goes, my dinky little 19 seater is carrying at least 17 people on just about every non eas leg throughout our entire route system.

Putting people on the airplanes does not seem to be the problem.

Finishing the fleet consolidation and reducing the overall cost per seat mile is a big part of the answer. Code sharing will be good for business, but won't reduce costs.

A code share with UAL is not the answer - Salomon Bros. estimates only $100 million/year gain for US Airways.

Anyways, it sounds like UAL employee issues would kill the deal before it got off the ground.

$100million/year gain sounds like a great start!

Hopefully they will build from there, reduce costs (that means streamlining management and fleet types, not front line labor!) and continue working on the revenue problem (ADDRESS THE STINKING FARE SYSTEM, IT IS WAY OVERDO TO BE REVAMPED.)

United and US Air, sounds like a winning combination to me.

US Airways Management & ALPA Agreed RJ

US Airways Management & ALPA Agreed RJ Position inked in the latest TA.

Anyone else read it!!? Looks like not only does it specifically mention United, it has Embraer all over it.. Sounds like Siegal has already picked out the specific aircraft (EMB-170 & EMB-190) and who he plans to team up with!

What does that mean for PSA?

I suppose I failed Business 101 but I dont understand how a company that is close to Chapter 11 can afford to buy these regional jets. Usually when a company files for BK they have to sell assets not buy them.
I do understand how they could get CHQ or Mesa to fly RJ's with Us Airways written on the side but could someone explain how PSA would get to fly RJ's?

Last edited:
Well I believe actions speak loader than words. Although USAir
is technically close to a Chap 11 position, management is probably confident that they have a solution to avoid it. Otherwise they would not spend all their time and focus putting the plan together to get the RJs.

They are just using the bankruptcy threat to keep pilots in fear of losing there jobs and as a means of implimenting salary concessions. My bet is that we will likely see an announcement soon that they got the $1 bil loan and they are moving forward to buy the jets.

Then we can watch everyone have a major dispute about who is going to fly the new airplanes...

I would say for all of those pilots who work for airlines that are making a little money and that have a valid plan, they need to hope for approval of the government loan. Competing with an airline sliding down the drain in chapter 11 will only hurt the remaining carriers.

PDT

Last I heard the negotiations broke down again for jets, anybody have any news on that? I think they (mainline) are asking for to much.

There hasnt been an update since last Thursday.

Latest resources

Back