• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

US air thanks but no thanks letter

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
There is a really young fat kid that got hired with 0 capt time. I think he was at trans states or pinacle.
He had family at usair. Just wrong.

M

I don't see anything wrong with that. A lot of us have spent between 5-7 years in the right seat of commuter planes because the boomers needed 5 more years to recover what they didn't save for. Many mainline pilots I know got hired when they were regional captains, but they upgraded within a year and spent a total of 3 years at their regional. I've spent almost 5 years at mine, in the RIGHT SEAT.

The airlines that are hiring FOs realize this, even though you may not.

Wow, I thought this would be about you sending USAirways a "thanks, but no thanks" letter.

No offense intended to any Westies or reasonable Easties.

Someone's wanking your chain. You really have no idea.

Couple of weeks ago had a 15 min chat with HR on behalf of a pilot trying to get on. People called: 5000hrs+, 121 PIC or military, 4 year, etc, etc.

Your mom's calling, It must be time for you to go downstairs for dinner.

heard there was a us air new hire, son of a check airman, who took 75 hours to get through OE on the 190, took multiple PCs for the type, and got US Air kicked out of the Hyatt for amazing off duty crazy redneck shenanigans....go figure....

what type of redneck shenanigans? This sounds like a good story

OK. To all the pilots out there with 5K-10K hrs and 121 PIC, who are discouraged by all the pilot posers claiming Mr. such and such got hired with 0 PIC, just ignore them. Currently US Airways is the only major out there hiring, so there are a lot of applicants. American is furloughing, United still has 1400+ on furlough, and Delta has said they aren't hiring in 2012. Eventually age 65 is going to kick in and there will be a lot of movement. US Airways is not most peoples first choice, so when it happens you will see the times seriously drop on those being hired, until then it will just take patience and perseverance. Best of luck to those ACTUAL pilots out there looking to move on to a major airline.

Well, thank you wave, that was a wonderful confidence booster this morning.

I hope your confidence is not dependent on anything you read on FI.
Not sure how you took that, but it's not a dig- all I'm saying is that you aren't a lost cause- you can continue to improve and get the job you want. But you have to be real about why youve failed. A good self esteem can accept responsibility for failure- Analyze your interview- then have that amnesia every good athlete has- and go after it again-
Which brings up another valid point. I've seen a LOT of excellent pilots not get jobs bc IMO they haven't worked on themselves as much as they've worked on flying. Ie: aren't confident in themselves as people, don't stand up straight, look people in the eye, with a good handshake- either so insecure it shows, or so insecure the overcompensation shows. They don't get comfortable under pressure-
Even keeled, know who you are and be it. Being an excellent flyer is the prerequisite- we all know a good trip- and a safe one- is equally about people skills- and so is customer service and the diplomat role pilots play. You aren't just proving you're a good pilot, but a good employee and representative.

How's that for kit Darby-?

And hey- going to job fairs are a good idea- it gets you comfortable in interview mode- and every airline's process is different- the fairs get you the info on those differences. There are very different opinions on kit darby's predictions on the career and industry and whether or not the fairs are good for an individual pilot fighting for a career-

The worst thing to do is over value pilot rumor and assumption.

I hope your confidence is not dependent on anything you read on FI.
Not sure how you took that, but it's not a dig- all I'm saying is that you aren't a lost cause- you can continue to improve and get the job you want. But you have to be real about why youve failed. A good self esteem can accept responsibility for failure- Analyze your interview- then have that amnesia every good athlete has- and go after it again-
Which brings up another valid point. I've seen a LOT of excellent pilots not get jobs bc IMO they haven't worked on themselves as much as they've worked on flying. Ie: aren't confident in themselves as people, don't stand up straight, look people in the eye, with a good handshake- either so insecure it shows, or so insecure the overcompensation shows. They don't get comfortable under pressure-
Even keeled, know who you are and be it. Being an excellent flyer is the prerequisite- we all know a good trip- and a safe one- is equally about people skills- and so is customer service and the diplomat role pilots play. You aren't just proving you're a good pilot, but a good employee and representative.

How's that for kit Darby-?

And hey- going to job fairs are a good idea- it gets you comfortable in interview mode- and every airline's process is different- the fairs get you the info on those differences. There are very different opinions on kit darby's predictions on the career and industry and whether or not the fairs are good for an individual pilot fighting for a career-

The worst thing to do is over value pilot rumor and assumption.

These are good words. I just had my first interview since my NetJets debacle in 2008. What a terrible interview that was for me! It was all on me on that one. Years later, being a changed person, my interview this week went much better. Good enough to get hired? I don't know. If it wasn't, it isn't the end of the world and there will be others.

Latest resources

Back