• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

US Air Superiority in flux?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Actually you are the one who should learn some history. The Me262 was flying in 1939 four years before we were able to reverse engineer it. Might I suggest wikipedia as a good place for you to start. You also probably think we Americans invented rockets too.

The Bell P-59 used engines based on Whittle's design. There was no German involvement. As far as the rocket goes, research the name Robert Goddard.

Tim please give it up, there is a ton of airplane geeks on here who seem to know a lot more than you do, at least about this topic.

The Bell P-59 used engines based on Whittle's design. There was no German involvement. As far as the rocket goes, research the name Robert Goddard.

Tim please give it up, there is a ton of airplane geeks on here who seem to know a lot more than you do, at least about this topic.

You walked right into that one.

Goddard did a lot of work advancing the rocket but it was the Chinese who invented them, more than a thousand years ago. (Eighth century to be precise.)

Interseting point but I think in relationship to the Germans Tim should have more percisely said the rocket engine. Von Braun took Goddards plans and modified them to create the Aggregate series of rockets in Germany.

Chinese rocketry only involved burning gunpowder so it was more like a bullet, self contained projectile, or cannonball then what we would consider a rocket in todays terms.

Goddards process involved mixing chemicals in a combustion chamber to produce a chemical reaction. By controlling the amount and type of chemical interactions Goddard created a complex process motor, rather than just burning a volatile chemical compound. Loading a V-2 with gunpowder would not have had the same results as a rocket engine.

I also think Goddard never drew any inspiration from Chinese rockets but rather was inspired by chemistry and physicis.

Latest resources

Back