• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

UPT Question's

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Yes, ANG and AFRes students going to fighters must finish in the top 1/2 of their class in primary to go to T-38s. If they are in the bottom half, however, their unit usually works pretty hard to find a heavy unit that will take them so they can continue with UPT, but that is not guaranteed.

Most guard/reserve students are top-notch. Once in awhile we'll get a "weak swimmer"...usually the prior-enlisted guard guys with minimal civilian flying time. If the weak student has previous flight time, the problem is usually conforming to military flying.
Another step in the process with guard/reserve students is updating the unit with his/her progress...so the unit knows if trouble is looming. I've seen units bend over backwards to help the individual. I've also seen a unit leave their guy out in the cold. That situation was due to a very bad attitude during training.

As a guard guy at UPT I can personally tell you that ATTITUDE is everything. The IP's will teach you how to fly the way they want you to, but you have to be willing to listen.

Prior flight time helps for about the first week of Tweets. After that it's anybodys game.

I had a lot of instrument time and got hammered during the Instrument block in Tweets because it took a long time to kick bad habbits. After the Mid term report, that you have with your flight commander, I was in the middle third. Which meant I was on the bubble of going to a 38, which is what my unit requires. When I started Formation, I had no choice but to do it their way because I didn't know any other way. Civilians don't fly form. By the end of the program I was on top (so to speak) and was told during the end of phase feedback session that I would have gotten one of the four T-38's that were in the track had I been an active duty stud.

If you're older like me, it's that much harder to kick those bad civilian habits. But you have to do it and the IP's will help, IF you show that you'r trying. Otherwise they will turn the screws down on you and make your life hell. I've seen it happen to buddys I got commissioned with...they're gone.

The best way to get through is to keep your mouth shut and let your flying talk for you. If your good...they'll know, if your bad...they'll know...but if you have an attitude problem...they won't care.

Good Luck

Latest resources

Back