upt and major hiring date

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Tycer

My question to all of you guys is this? I am fortunately in a situation where I have the possibility of accepting a guard slot sometime in the summer of 2005. I also have my stuff out to SWA. My question is this.... What if I am at SWA for 6+- months and then I get my papers to start UPT. Will SWA give me military leave even though I am not off probation, and if they do can I aquire senority, longevity etc. This is a best case scenario, but what would happen if I got the call from SWA after I start UPT? This has been keeping me up at night so any help would be appreciated.
Thanks

I am not off probation, and if they do can I acquire seniority, longevity etc.
Your seniority number remains the same. Everything else will stay as it was when you leave. If you left at six months then you would have 6 months left on probation. Everything but seniority would start at the six months.

I had a buddy at Alaska that was already in teh Reserves. He was hired and started training at Alaska. nine months into his probation he got activated for a year. He thought it sucked because he couldn't even fly on his week off. But, he went right back to the line and took his recurrent training. Honestly, the two airlines I have worked for (albeit express carriers) your probationary checkride is no big deal. Probationary checkrides are a big deal when it is made apparant that some people don't want you there. You have to screw things up pretty badly to have a problem when your year comes around. For my friend it just proved a little more difficult in recurrent, because he hadn't actually flown the maddogg (MD-80) in close to a year...let alone had any classroom training in almost two years. I'd say take the SWA gig if you ca get it.

No big thing. Airlines (and any other company) must allow military-leave-of-abscence. It is what makes the guard and reserve system work. You are protected by law as far as not losing seniority but you still have to finish probation. If the other happens...in UPT and SWA calls...then I would think SWA would give you the opportunity to come back for training after UPT. Take the SWA job. Good Luck.

spanky2 said:
No big thing. Airlines (and any other company) must allow military-leave-of-abscence. It is what makes the guard and reserve system work. You are protected by law as far as not losing seniority but you still have to finish probation.

What if you're working for a company and then you get selected for a UPT slot in the guard. Since you're not in the military yet, does your employer have to let you off for AMS, UPT, etc or would you have to resign? Thanks!

leaving the airlines

As I have understood. My reserve unit will enlist me prior to OTS. I may attend a few drill weeekends to meet th e other pilots on base. I think OTS are active orders; thus you rcompany must let you go

They must let you off for mandatory military training.

I was already working for my previous employer, enlisted and then waited for orders to basic training. Two years later, I was selected for UPT and was on a military leave for two years.

Check your company regulations, contract and federal law. I know one of my supervisors hated my accurate quoting of company regulations when military leave issues came up. It was always crew schedule which initiated the questions.

Good luck...fly safe!

Latest resources

Back