Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

ShawnC

Skirts Will Rise
I'm not sure if this is the correct forum to post it in, but does upset training make a big diffrence in hiring, I know that most schools (UND, and ERAU) are requiring it, or will be, but does it make a big diffrence when it comes to be hired by the airlines?

Upset training

It wasn't in the course at MAPD when I was there. I thought those students should have had at least some spin training. After all, we had 20-hour students practicing solo stalls in Bonanzas. These students were hired into the regional at 300 hours with none of this training. By now, I'm sure many of them have made it to the majors. I'm sure few, if any, sought the training after they were hired.

We had spins and unusual attitude training at FSI when I was there ten years ago, in Decathlons and Aerobat 152s. Now, they're using Zlins.

I thought unusual attitudes was great training for all pilots. The long and short of it, though, is the majors probably don't care; they're more concerned with your instrument flying abilities.

Last edited:
You'll do unusual attitude, windshear, and wake turbulence training in the sim when you get hired at an airline. That's the "fun" day in the sim!
The last time I was in the sim, we got to within a few feet of the ground on a few windshear scenarios - I think it might have been the Delta L-1011 crash at DFW. It'll get your heart pumpin'!

You're asking the wrong question bu d.

It's not does it impact on hiring descisions, it's whether it makes you a better pilot. Hiring descisions should be based on that, whether you're a good pilot or not, and that is what "upset training" is supposed to do: make you a better (safer) pilot.

That said, it's kind of a buzzword in aviation right now, right up there with runway incursions...

Me, I'd just say that being upside down and pushing my tummy into my legs is just plane FUN.

Dan

Latest resources

Back