• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

UPS vs FedEx

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
More captains is a good thing. Personally, I think that all relief pilots should be captains! FedEx has been using Captains as RFOs this past year, and some are upset about it, but I'm not one of them and don't quite follow their logic.

I am curious on the current UPS dress codes for training, curious if it's changed at all. What do you guys have to wear during initial, upgrade and recurrent training?

Shirt and Tie for everything. Except for Fridays business casual is in effect.

or

If Dale Jarrett finishes in the top 5, business casual on Monday

or

If Dale Jarrett wins the race business casual for the whole week.

Yippeeeeeee!

Dress code for training

I tested the system once on my first day of recurrent. I thought I'd show up without a tie and see what happens, had a clip-on in my pocket. The instructor noticed me tieless before class even started and told me he had a spare clip-on in his office desk if I had forgotten mine. He was nice about it so I just put my tie on.

I think the reason UPS can make things work with less pilot growth is they try real hard to move as much as they can on the ground. We used to have five night sorts when the Rockford hub first started. UPS was able to cut back the RFD night sort by figuring out how to move the packages by truck. Unfortunately for pilot hiring, UPS has a more extensive ground network than Fedex.

Thanks everyone for the great info and for your understanding in my desire to explore all my options. It helped to confirm my decision as to what I would do if UPS calls.

dogg,

while occationally share your frustration about military pilots getting jobs easier, there is something to be said about being an F15 pilot. Most military pilots fly transports and such any they don't have it as easy as the fighterpilots, as they are usually the top of their class. An Employer recognizes this and shows bias to them (I might do the same). Having said this, Fedex seems to base their hiring more on ability than on where you learned to fly. Just look at the profiles of some of the Fedex guys on this board. They have a pre-employment sim check that is a bear I am told, and if you pass it then no matter whether you are F15 or E120, you should get a job. And remember this, the military is also subject to supply and demand. A pilot that qualified to go military in 1998, may not have made it in 1990, when they had absolutely no waivers.

Hang in there and keep adding to your resume, you'll get what you want.

Latest resources

Back