UPS Strike?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Big Beer Belly said:
Wow Mega ... I didn't intend for my post to be offensive in the least. I'm glad you've got it all figured out at brown ... and while you're still on probation no less! :D

BBB

Yeah, sounds like she knows everything... sigh

I think her point was...

Capt Megadeth doesn't need me to defend her...but I understand where she's coming from. When we get to UPS, we've all been PICs somewhere. I've been at UPS a year now, and I feel fortunate (and lucky) to say that I haven't been subjected to anything "shady". I've certainly heard stories that made my hair stand up, and I'm sure my day will come. But while I was in the Air Force, I was asked to do plenty of shady things, and every time, had to stand up to someone with usually a lot more time in and rank than me that should have known better. The longer I was in and the closer I got to getting out, the easier it got. But I had to do it without any promise of protection from a union. In the military (for those who haven't had the pleasure) if you piss off the wrong person, you could find yourself in a non-voluntary status in the desert for 90+ days if the right "opportunity" popped up to screw you over. I doubt she's offended, just trying to illustrate the point that we aren't sheltered. And back to the thread topic...I haven't come across a guy (or gal) yet who has said they are looking forward to a strike so they can "stick it to the man", though all have said they are willing if that's what it takes. It is nice to be part of such a unified group. Let's hope it doesn't come to that.

As for you 720...you waited a year and a half on this board to post, and that's the best you could come up with??!! Jeez. Looking forward to the next one.

To the ladies of Brown.......can't wait to see you in the new uniform. Apparantly much more feminine and less "shady"!

capt. megadeth said:
I see....BBB.

I think you're probably a cool dude, but I really don't appreciate all the "oh you will learn" and "your awakening will come". You act like I am clueless. Is UPS the only airline you have worked for? Because they all do shady $hit! There's already been shady things that I have seen at UPS. I am sure there will be times when I am severely pi$$ed off for getting screwed, but you know what? Newsflash! I have been at 2 other shady carriers that pulled the same $hit....you can either freak out or deal with it because it won't change. Why waste energy getting freaking out over things you cannot really control? I have wasted a lot of energy on that in the past and learned that the only one I hurt is myself. If UPS is so shady that someone would want to strike just to stick it to the company, it is their own personal issue. In the end, a strike won't hurt anyone that you would want to hurt (ie. executives, ACPs etc. They will all have their golden parachutes and pay). If it doesn't work out, we will be the ones without a job. If it works out great. I am not saying that I will not strike....I will do the right thing and strike if it comes down to it, but I won't be "enthused" about it.

You are right capt. All freight carriers pull shady sh!t. You should be happy that you work for one of the best. Hopefully you will get a contract soon. This is from one who will be jobless at the end of June.

27 driver said:
"This is from one who will be jobless at the end of June."

Why do you think you're jobless by June???

Last edited:
Fly Astar Jets said:
27 driver said:
"This is from one who will be jobless at the end of June."

Why do you think you're jobless by June???

I am one of the unfortunate contractors in DAY. No more freight after JUNE is the word. Time to polish up the resume I guess.

Could someone give an ignorant flight instructor a heads up on what exactly is the problem at UPS? I've always been under the impression UPS (and Fedex) are the absolute best places to begin and live out your career. Isn't job security and pay much better vs. passenger airlines?

After 3 passenger airline furloughs a relative of mine is finally a captain at UPS and has never had one bad thing to say about them. Wishes he had started with freight long ago. Are the work rules being bent that much? just curious :) Currently I work 7 days a week all year with maybe 1-2 weeks off per year. I hope it's not that bad at UPS. I was under the impression 'paying your dues' ended at some point.

Thanks!

Grove

Last edited:
Grove said:
Could someone give an ignorant flight instructor a heads up on what exactly is the problem at UPS? I've always been under the impression UPS (and Fedex) are the absolute best places to begin and live out your career. Isn't job security and pay much better vs. passenger airlines?

After 3 passenger airline furloughs a relative of mine is finally a captain at UPS and has never had one bad thing to say about them. Wishes he had started with freight long ago. Are the work rules being bent that much? just curious :) Currently I work 7 days a week all year with maybe 1-2 weeks off per year. I hope it's not that bad at UPS. I was under the impression 'paying your dues' ended at some point.

Thanks!

Grove
UPS and FEDEX are probably the best jobs out there right now. I do not work for either of them, but never really hear anything bad about them. They are just hard to get on with. Only a few slots and a lot of pilots trying to fill them.
Good luck.

Grove said:
Could someone give an ignorant flight instructor a heads up on what exactly is the problem at UPS?

Sure.

Unfortunately the relationship between pilots and management is not that great.

As far as what "the problem" is.....here is my cynical take on it. Some people will never be happy no matter what. Some pilots expect to work 1 day a month, fly one leg a night and get paid $400,000 for it. They also think that if they are on reserve and call to get released 10 hours early so they can commute home, they should be released because apparently the company does not have a business to run and they are so special. I have found that these people usually either A. have never worked at any other airline besides UPS or B. came from a major airline that spoiled them and then furloughed them. Some people just don't get the fact that there are not many good companies hiring out there and they should thank their lucky stars that they got a job at a company that has probably the best chance of making it long term.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back