UPS Pool Update!

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

tim1wolf

Hey all fellow poolies. I need some advice. I was finally doing my update that the company mailed us and I actually read the fine print. I was more conservative when I applied and did not use the sole manipulator rule to do my times. If I were to redo them now, possibly with a letter explaining myself, I would have a bit more PIC than before. Or is this just highlighting the fact that I didn't read the instructions in the first place!

Any advice?

Hired?

If you're hired why highlight yourself? The more conservative approach is better. I know that some companies say that you must "sign" for the jet and not just be sole manipulator like Part 61 states.

Leave It Alone!

tim1wolf,

If it isn't broken, then don't try to fix it! You're in the pool already! I agree with Roddy. You took the more conservative approach. Congratulations, by the way. Fly safe.

:cool:

Tim1wolf:

First off, congrats for getting hired!

I hate to make things difficult, but I want to remind you that it is a competitive pool. It's not a first in/first out. How did you do in the interview and sim? They usually give you some good feedback on the spot. They score you on your sim and interview. Those numbers are very important in determining the order of calls for class dates.

If your sim/interview was good, I would agree with the others. Don't bother making a correction since I think 3000 hours with C141 time is quite competitive.

The latest I've heard is that there are 70 guys in the hiring pool. UPS just had a realignment bid which will most likely result in the displacement of about 21 727 and 747 guys. This may also force 21 FOs back to the panel. We'll find out in about four days.

That's the bad news. The good news is that the "unofficial" word calls for hiring to pick up later this year in conjuction with Mr. Greenspan's latest comments. UPS's growth religiously mirrors the economy, although former CEO Jim Kelly once claimed to Wall Street that the ecomomy mimics UPS!

I'll let you know when the "unofficial" word becomes "official". Good luck.

I agree with UPSFO, because it is a performance pool, anything yo can do to be more competitive might get you out sooner. I had two friends last year who went straight to classes while others swam in the pool.

I don't mean to discourage you, though. You're in there, so congratulations!

UPS update

We just got word on our long awaited mid-term TA. Basically, the company wants to operate the MD-11 over 8 hours but it's not in the contract. The TA proposal would give them IRO's on the MD in return for overtime (lines above 75 hours) to be paid at 125%, opentime pickup paid on top of guarantee (don't currently get paid for extra flying until you go over guarantee), raises for new hires, and a few other smaller things. The intent of the company is to make "extra" work more attractive....and if your a potential new hire you don't want UPS pilots working extra....as you know what that does to the hiring equation. If our union message board is any indication, this TA will be defeated in a landslide. Hopefully, that will result in UPS deciding to hire this year. The bad news would be the first year pay wouldn't change....small price to pay in this day and age.

Latest resources

Back